1. Heluhelu

Heluhelu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Right now we have 6 hens and 2 roosters living in two tractors. The tractors work well, but I would like the chickens to have more room- so we are building a coop.

Look on my BYC page to check out the coop in progress. So far we have used mostly recycled materials. We did have to buy the paint, hardware, and roofing. We still have to do doors, ramps, floor, and roosts. We also need to figure out how in the world we are going to do the yard. Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I really like the idea of having the two doors, may borrow that idea for my new coop.

3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    That's neat, with the two doors and yards.

I did wonder about the pallets open on the inside. Could a chicken become wedged between the slats? Or were you going to cover the inside walls?

4. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    Chicken coops always have two doors. If they had four doors they would be sedans![​IMG]

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Nice! I really wish we had used clear roofing on our coop. We were worried it would grow mossy and look bad too quickly here though. Great job [​IMG]

7. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

X2 lol, imma have to use that one! [​IMG]

8. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:Thank you for making me laugh. I'm laying here in bed, sick, feeling crappy and you made me laugh. Thanks! I really needed that!

9. Heluhelu

Heluhelu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    I donʻt know about covering the walls, it doesnʻt look like any of my chickens are small enough to fit in there and get stuck.

10. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I've had a couple get stuck in the pallets around a compost bed, when they were trying to get away from a rooster. They were way too big to go through, but tried anyway! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by