New Coop!!!

ketcham

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Marshallville,Ohio
Well I got my new coop done,so chickens are out of the garage.Now to get them trained to go in the coop at night.Took me 40 mins last night to round up and catch them to put them in.A raccoon dropped by to see the new place and didn't get in so that is good.Couldn't get a shot off to whack him.Tried the food up the plank trick,didn't work.I figure it will take a few nights for the to figure this out.The grew up in a utility tub in the basement and then out in the garage.Nice to get them out of the garage.Any good tips on getting them trained????? Kevin
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Mine were only 4 weeks old at the time, but I put them in the coop and left them there for 3 days while I finished the run. Once finished I opened the pop door and let them out. They went up for the night on their own the first night. This was purely by chance that I did it this way because of having to finish the coop, but since then I've read that others had done it that way. Good luck!!!

You'll have to post some pics of your new coop on your BYC page... love to see 'em!
smile.png

Wow,,, I don't know if I could keep them coop-up that long.They like free ranging around my 3 1/2 acres.I'm gonna try a few more nights and see what happens and post the results.I'd hate to be coop-up for 7 days.I did see one today go in and stay in for 1/2 hour I guess.Should have all gone in on the big down pour and thunderstorm,they got soaked!!!!.Maybe when they get used to it.I'll keep my fingers crossed.They should be getting ready for bed in an hour.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
Kevin ps I'll post a coop pic when somebody comes by.Low tech here!!!

Last edited:
OK no war tonight,,one battle.Most of the chickens are figuring it out.Always one in the bunch.Napolen was the last to go.She is the mouthy one of the bunch.All went in but her.She let me pick her up just a min ago to be put to bed.haha!!!Locked up safley for the night.Going better than I thought.Last night was a nightmare.Hope they figure this is a good place during a thunderstom,,,,they got soaked today twice.Kevin ps nice to see the rooster take 2 in.
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom