New coops - found a great idea.

RaresightFarms

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2014
I'm building myself two new coops currently, with another planned. One is just a basic coop for my chicks that are old enough to be outside. I figured, since they are for selling or processing, no point in introducing them to my flock! (The ones I DO want to keep, get banded, and then transferred to the 'big-girl coop' once I feel like they are big enough to hold their own.) The planned coop is just another adult coop so I can separate a bit.

My other project, though, was a bit more detailed. So my whole flock is currently in one place. (When I build the second pen they will be in two places, but the same problem applies.) Now, I am not going to mistake my Ameraucana eggs with my Silkie eggs. Obviously. BUT. I am doing a big project, using 4 different breeds, and keeping good records. Different crosses eggs are going to look the same, if both are layed by the same breed of hen. I NEED to know who laid what egg, so I can incubate the correct chicks and keep true records. SO.

The hotel coop!

(Ok, so, it's probably not new to all of you, but it was a breakthrough for me, lol!)

1 coop, several sections. Mine will be a bit different than the photo. I am going to make the second story of each section connect to the first, and the first story will be mesh all the way to the ground. Bottom will be for feeding, etc, and top will have roosts and a nesting box. I wanted them bigger because I'd like to have the option of 'studding' a roo to a specific hen for a couple weeks, and I felt they were too small for prolonged stay as they were. (My current flock has a nice big area to run around in.) That way, I get eggs from just a single (or pair) of specific hens, by a specific roo, and not have to worry if I mistook one light cream bantam egg for another light cream bantam egg. I'm sure you've been there. :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom