New coops

upinrunnin

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 19, 2015
Cromwell Ct.
After 5 years we moved the chickens out of the garage and into three smaller coops about three weeks ago. They handled the transition well, but we haven't had any eggs since the move. We know this is a slow time of year, but we usually get one or two with 20 chickens. We have the Eglu cubes and we put hay in the nesting area and some tennis balls (like we did when they were younger) and close it off at night. I don't think they are laying anywhere else, but they do have a large area to free range and I've taken a walk around to see if they are laying anywhere else. Will it take more time to acclimate or is there something else I can do to teach them where the nesting boxes are. I don't want to buy eggs from the store anymore.

After 5 years we moved the chickens out of the garage and into three smaller coops about three weeks ago. They handled the transition well, but we haven't had any eggs since the move. We know this is a slow time of year, but we usually get one or two with 20 chickens. We have the Eglu cubes and we put hay in the nesting area and some tennis balls (like we did when they were younger) and close it off at night. I don't think they are laying anywhere else, but they do have a large area to free range and I've taken a walk around to see if they are laying anywhere else. Will it take more time to acclimate or is there something else I can do to teach them where the nesting boxes are. I don't want to buy eggs from the store anymore.
Sometimes chickens get a bit funny when there is a change. If it is a slow time of year, yet having that change - that could well be the cause. Mine free range too. I find eggs in the weirdest of places (e.g. the mower engine, real weird). Keep a look out! Soon, I'd say, you'll get some :)

That's a big change....in conjunction with the very short days...and probably molting,
am not surprised you're not getting eggs.

Are the 3 coops separated with adjacent runs so they all go into the coop you want them too...
......or how does that work?
Why 3 coops, how many birds total?

Your birds are all 5 years old?

Here's some tips about how to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

If they appear to be laying, you might want to confine them for awhile.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Thanks. They are aged 3-5 1/2 years. Garage needed to be fixed up which necessitated the move. We have a large enclosed, covered run and the three coops inside. Then they have a very large area in the yard to free range , about 50 x 75 ft. At first we kept them in the run and they picked the coops they would go into. I thought it would be difficult but they were great about it. We kept them confined to this area for a few days until they all went in. When they free range they all go in at dusk, so that part has been okay. I meant to say golf balls, not tennis balls, to show them these are nesting boxes. They do slow down this time of year and are molting, but thought I usually get an egg or two. I will try leaving them contained in the morning to see if that helps.

This area of the yard is not new to them. It's been their usual area, only the access to garage has changed and they adapted well. Only one went in the old coop at night and we moved her, then she accepted her new place.

Sometimes chickens get a bit funny when there is a change. If it is a slow time of year, yet having that change - that could well be the cause. Mine free range too. I find eggs in the weirdest of places (e.g. the mower engine, real weird). Keep a look out! Soon, I'd say, you'll get some :)
We expected the anxiety with change, but they have adapted well. I do a check of their area frequently and haven't seen any eggs.

I'm no expert by far but maybe it the stress of the change someone needs to make chicken xanex they are very anxious birds on a whole
I felt bad with the change but the garage was no longer safe enough for them due to structural issues so it had to happen. I'm going to downsize to about 5-10 chickens and we thought the omlet coops were nice so that's why a few smaller ones as opposed to one larger one that wouldn't be appropriate in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom