New duck Mom and my 6 week old Pekin will not stand up or walk.

duckiemom41

In the Brooder
May 19, 2018
I am a first time duck mommy. We purchased two at Easter for pets when they were 5 days old, Georgia and Lillie, and we love both of them dearly. Georgia is a sassy spitfire but my poor Lillie has had issues since she was about three weeks old. I thought I did my homework on raising ducks but I couldn't have been more wrong. There just isn't and good/accurate information online. At first we noticed that her legs were really far apart and her hip bones seemed to stick out while her body was practically on the ground. We took her to the vet and he had never really seen this before. He taped her legs together with only about a two inch space in hope that her legs would move back in place. It was hard work and the tape kept coming off however within about two weeks she was doing great and walking around like normal. We were so happy! But that was very short lived. One morning we woke up and noticed Lillie would not stand up or walk at all... Just overnight. She acted like she didn't feel good and when we tried to encourage her to stand she just wouldn't. On a side note both of my ducks are 6 week old Pekins. We took her back to the vet and he thinks this is unrelated to the first issue she was having. He looked her over and didn't really have an answer for me. He gave me an antibiotic and some critical care food and wants to see her back in 2 weeks. It's bee 6 days now and Lillie just attempted to stand up again on her own yesterday. She does act like she feels better and we have her in the pool everyday which she loves. I read that it could be a Niacin deficiency and the critical care food has a large dose in it, however I am still giving her peas, watermelon, apples and blueberries twice a day for a snack <3 I just worry about her all the time and I want her to be okay. Being so new at all of this along with the issues we have had with her have been a little overwhelming, but I am willing to do whatever it takes for her the get better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was also wanting to get them some duck shoes and diapers. I have some concrete out back that is a little rough and I don't want them to hurt their feet. I saw where there was a Nellie that was selling them here, however she has not been active on here since sometime in 2017. Does anyone know where I can go to buy some?

Thank you so much!

duckiemom41

:welcome
Here is the link for one place might google and find others too ebay might be one.
https://crazykfarm.mybigcommerce.com/birdy-bootie-hand-made-in-the-usa/
I ordered for my hen [chicken] shoes when she has bumble very well made.

As for your duckling, it seems these Pekins just grow so darn fast their bones can't keep up with it all. Leg issues are a big problem Not all but quiet a few. So sorry about your Lillie @CayugaJana has Pekins and can give you info on adding B Complex to the peas or treats you give daily that may also help get Lillie back up and walking. Sounds like your doing all you can for her I hope she keeps improving daily. Pool therapy is an awesome way to get those leg muscles strong.

Here is the link for one place might google and find others too ebay might be one.

As for your duckling, it seems these Pekins just grow so darn fast their bones can't keep up with it all. Leg issues are a big problem Not all but quiet a few. So sorry about your Lillie @CayugaJana has Pekins and can give you info on adding B Complex to the peas or treats you give daily that may also help get Lillie back up and walking. Sounds like your doing all you can for her I hope she keeps improving daily. Pool therapy is an awesome way to get those leg muscles strong.

@duckiemom41, welcome to BYC! Does your duck look like one of these?
c1.jpg

Source:
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

I am a first time duck mommy. We purchased two at Easter for pets when they were 5 days old, Georgia and Lillie, and we love both of them dearly. Georgia is a sassy spitfire but my poor Lillie has had issues since she was about three weeks old. I thought I did my homework on raising ducks but I couldn't have been more wrong. There just isn't and good/accurate information online. At first we noticed that her legs were really far apart and her hip bones seemed to stick out while her body was practically on the ground. We took her to the vet and he had never really seen this before. He taped her legs together with only about a two inch space in hope that her legs would move back in place. It was hard work and the tape kept coming off however within about two weeks she was doing great and walking around like normal. We were so happy! But that was very short lived. One morning we woke up and noticed Lillie would not stand up or walk at all... Just overnight. She acted like she didn't feel good and when we tried to encourage her to stand she just wouldn't. On a side note both of my ducks are 6 week old Pekins. We took her back to the vet and he thinks this is unrelated to the first issue she was having. He looked her over and didn't really have an answer for me. He gave me an antibiotic and some critical care food and wants to see her back in 2 weeks. It's bee 6 days now and Lillie just attempted to stand up again on her own yesterday. She does act like she feels better and we have her in the pool everyday which she loves. I read that it could be a Niacin deficiency and the critical care food has a large dose in it, however I am still giving her peas, watermelon, apples and blueberries twice a day for a snack <3 I just worry about her all the time and I want her to be okay. Being so new at all of this along with the issues we have had with her have been a little overwhelming, but I am willing to do whatever it takes for her the get better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was also wanting to get them some duck shoes and diapers. I have some concrete out back that is a little rough and I don't want them to hurt their feet. I saw where there was a Nellie that was selling them here, however she has not been active on here since sometime in 2017. Does anyone know where I can go to buy some?

Thank you so much!

duckiemom41
Hi duckiemom41! I have Pekins too and I love them. They do seem to need some special care though. I think they need more niacin than most breed just because of their size. They are 2-4X the weight of some breeds. Niacin is crucial for proper leg development as well as the muscles in the legs. If your duck looked like those in casportpony post, then I’d bet money a niacin deficiency is the issue. Not all duck need the same amount or absorb the same. So I’m not surprised there is some of yours that are fine while one isn’t. Go to tractor supply and get cattle vitamin b complex. It’s a liquid and will be absorbed quickly. Give her 1mL a day for about a week. If she has a niacin deficiency, you should see improvement around that time. The complex also has a vitamin in it that will physically make her feel better also. It won’t hurt her if you give her a little too much. I put mine on peas or mealworms and they gobble it up. If you have questions, just come back on here and ask. Also, if it works inform your vet of the issue. I find that most people in the field of science love to continually learn.

@CayugaJana What B complex would you recommend? When I go to Tractor Supply to ask about the vitamins they don't really act like they know what they are talking about and it doesn't make me feel comfortable giving it to my Pekins. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom