New duck Mom and my 6 week old Pekin will not stand up or walk.

Hi duckiemom41! I have Pekins too and I love them. They do seem to need some special care though. I think they need more niacin than most breed just because of their size. They are 2-4X the weight of some breeds. Niacin is crucial for proper leg development as well as the muscles in the legs. If your duck looked like those in casportpony post, then I’d bet money a niacin deficiency is the issue. Not all duck need the same amount or absorb the same. So I’m not surprised there is some of yours that are fine while one isn’t. Go to tractor supply and get cattle vitamin b complex. It’s a liquid and will be absorbed quickly. Give her 1mL a day for about a week. If she has a niacin deficiency, you should see improvement around that time. The complex also has a vitamin in it that will physically make her feel better also. It won’t hurt her if you give her a little too much. I put mine on peas or mealworms and they gobble it up. If you have questions, just come back on here and ask. Also, if it works inform your vet of the issue. I find that most people in the field of science love to continually learn.

Thank you so much! I was asking in the other email and you were answering on this one! Haha! I will definitely do that and her vet would love to know also. We live in a small town and he's trying his best :) She has a follow up on the 25th.

aa917f5a-e4f2-4361-be85-e7b58046125a-jpeg.1304368

this is the one from TSC

Hi duckiemom41! I have Pekins too and I love them. They do seem to need some special care though. I think they need more niacin than most breed just because of their size. They are 2-4X the weight of some breeds. Niacin is crucial for proper leg development as well as the muscles in the legs. If your duck looked like those in casportpony post, then I’d bet money a niacin deficiency is the issue. Not all duck need the same amount or absorb the same. So I’m not surprised there is some of yours that are fine while one isn’t. Go to tractor supply and get cattle vitamin b complex. It’s a liquid and will be absorbed quickly. Give her 1mL a day for about a week. If she has a niacin deficiency, you should see improvement around that time. The complex also has a vitamin in it that will physically make her feel better also. It won’t hurt her if you give her a little too much. I put mine on peas or mealworms and they gobble it up. If you have questions, just come back on here and ask. Also, if it works inform your vet of the issue. I find that most people in the field of science love to continually learn.

Okay so I just got back fro TSC. This B complex says injectable?

I just went and picked this up. It says injectable though?
you can still give it orally... I had issues with my Pekin also and started the B complex. I have been adding 80mg on his food a few times a day. He shares with another duck so he doesn't get that full dose. My Pekin Marshmallow has improved to the point of just about perfect over the course of 4 weeks. I think after 10 weeks they no longer need the extra niacin. I am new to ducks also and just wanted to give you some info while you wait for soemone with more info to answer.
Good luck with you ducks!!!
Vitamin B giving to ducklings.jpeg
I bought mine in the vitamin section of the store for humans...

you can still give it orally... I had issues with my Pekin also and started the B complex. I have been adding 80mg on his food a few times a day. He shares with another duck so he doesn't get that full dose. My Pekin Marshmallow has improved to the point of just about perfect over the course of 4 weeks. I think after 10 weeks they no longer need the extra niacin. I am new to ducks also and just wanted to give you some info while you wait for soemone with more info to answer.
View attachment 1395761 I bought mine in the vitamin section of the store for humans...

Oh my gosh thank you! Not only is it injectable but its for cattle o_0 So I was nervous all the way around. If it wasn't for forums like this I'm not sure what we would do.

View attachment 1395761 I bought mine in the vitamin section of the store for humans...
:highfive:

I would give them the niacin every now and again especially since you’ve already paid for it.

Oh my gosh thank you! Not only is it injectable but its for cattle o_0 So I was nervous all the way around. If it wasn't for forums like this I'm not sure what we would do.
Yep it says for cattle, however it’s not formulated special for them. I believe it’s a common issue with cows, so I’d say that’s why. You could even take it if you had a need. It won’t hurt you. But it stains, so don’t wear white while feeding.:lau

Back
Top Bottom