New duck owner questions

joesandy1822

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Hello everybody. I’m a brand new duck mom. I am THRILLED to say the least. I’ve waited so long, it’s almost like a dream. I adopted 2 beautiful ducks that I believe are both about a year old. One is a Giant Pekin named Georgie. The other is a Muskovy named Weezie. I am coming up with many questions, and I wonder if I can just create this thread and then continue adding my questions here rather than create a new post for every question? It would be easier, but I want to do what is proper. So if I need to do it a different way, somebody please set me straight.

First question….the ducks are out all day free ranging. They are only cooped up from dusk until dawn for protection from nocturnal predators. Must I put water in their coop? Seems like a bad idea cleanliness wise, but if they require water in the night, I will do it. But I’ve read differing opinions.

Next question….since they free range all day, what is the standard amount of dry food I should be giving them? How will this change in winter months where they will still be free ranging, but there will be very little vegetation or insects? (I live in Michigan, and it gets cold and snowy.)

And lastly for now….the previous owner, in addition to their free ranging forage and dry layer crumble gave them each a handful of frozen (thawed) veggies like peas, carrots, or corn and/or fruit like blueberries, etc. I’ve also discovered they love tomatoes. Is this healthy/acceptable? Are there any foods ducks should not or must not eat? How about quantity?

More questions to follow. Thank you all so much in advance.

Sandy

by giant pekin do you mean jumbo pekin? if your pekin is a jumbo your gonna want to make sure to limit his food so he doesn’t get overweight/have extra health issues, even on a proper diet pekin are prone to having leg problems

my smaller 3 ducks have food available 24/7 and can eat whenever they want, my 2 jumbo pekin boys get fed duck feed twice a day with a few healthy snacks in between

I am coming up with many questions, and I wonder if I can just create this thread and then continue adding my questions here rather than create a new post for every question? It would be easier, but I want to do what is proper. So if I need to do it a different way, somebody please set me straight.
Yes please! You have the right idea. Its perfect to have one thread dedicated to it rather than a bunch of random ones. :)
First question….the ducks are out all day free ranging. They are only cooped up from dusk until dawn for protection from nocturnal predators. Must I put water in their coop? Seems like a bad idea cleanliness wise, but if they require water in the night, I will do it. But I’ve read differing opinions.
Poultry don't need water or food in their coop at night. They will be perfectly fine eating and drinking in the morning. I don't put water or food in my coop since they are so messy with anything wet. With that in mind, just make sure you don't put food in their either. They use water to help wash down their food, so there's a chance you could have some issues if they don't have water when they eat. Before I knew this I offered food without water, never had any issues. I don't do it anymore though.
Next question….since they free range all day, what is the standard amount of dry food I should be giving them? How will this change in winter months where they will still be free ranging, but there will be very little vegetation or insects? (I live in Michigan, and it gets cold and snowy.)
The very best thing you can do is free feed. Its much easier for you, and for them. They will regulate the amount of food they need, its actually very healthy for them to be free fed. Unlike cats and dogs who need breakfast and dinner. Unless you are fermenting your feed, (me) than you don't need to worry about feeding them breakfast and dinner, or daily at all. Just fill a feeder and your good to go. A rat proof feeder might be something to look into if you don't have a run setup that is rat proof.
And lastly for now….the previous owner, in addition to their free ranging forage and dry layer crumble gave them each a handful of frozen (thawed) veggies like peas, carrots, or corn and/or fruit like blueberries, etc. I’ve also discovered they love tomatoes. Is this healthy/acceptable? Are there any foods ducks should not or must not eat? How about quantity?
Yes! That is certainly acceptable! This is a controversial topic, some will say that anything offered besides the commercial diet is going to dilute the nutrients, and isn't good for them. I agree with this, if your talking about scratch, or tired bugs, or corn. For any veggies, fruits, or forage, go for it! Of course, you want a commercial feed to be the largest part of their diet, you wouldn't want to feed mostly veggies/forage. So keep that in mind. Treats are typically 10% of the diet, that about 2 tbsp per duck per day. I don't worry about that for plants though, only anything dried, bagged, or advertised as a poultry treat. Vegetables and plants also contain beneficial Omega 3's, (grains are mostly Omega 6's, so plants are vital to get naturally occurring Omega 3's.) antioxidants which are vital for laying birds, and naturally occurring nutrients and vitamins rather than synthetic ones.

There are plants and vegetables you don't want to feed, this article is a fantastic guide for that. Thread 'The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...'

For food, free feeding works with most ducks, but Pekins that is not always true. Pekins like to pig out. When I first got Pekins they ate through a week's worth of food in a couple of days. So they can be better to put on a restricted diet. On average it is about 0.4lbs of food per duck a day.

As for what food, I have used crumble in a pinch, but a pellet is better when they are adults. With crumble their can be more dust and pieces they may accidentally inhale. They often sneeze with crumble because of this. But any all flock or duck feed will be fine for ducks. During molting, you may want to supplement their feed with extra protein. Dry cat food is a good way of doing this.

I also do not have my waterer in my coop. Too much of a mess.

I find my laying girl’s drink a lot more then my boys
I do give water in my night duck house but others don’t and are just fine
I give all kinds of fruit and veggie treats but only small amounts and not everyday
I will boil corn on the cob then hand it to them. They go crazy over it
Also cut watermelon in half or 1/4 depending on size and they eat it up
Cat food and dry mealworms are favourites
I keep feed out all day for my ducks
Mine are not overweight they forge most the time but do eat crumble throughout the day
I have a Pekin , khaki Campbell and 5 of their offspring as well as 3 younger Swedish
Want to add my Pekin is not a jumbo. She isn’t much bigger then my khaki drake
I still give nutritional yeast on their feed a little sprinkle this will help with niacin especially with the Pekin
I offer grit at all times as it helps them digest food in case they can’t find it in the ground around my place
Good luck and enjoy your new family members
I started with 2 now have 10
They are addicting :)

I hate to be a bummer, but I'm also going to mention Avian Influenza since your free ranging. Where are you located? AI is running wild through the entire US and UK. Its very high risk, and if they catch = its fatal. Sometimes ducks can pass it, but its unlikely. If they do catch it, you need to report the case in your flock, and when you do, the flock will be euthanized. I highly recommend you read through this thread. Yes, its long but it has the answers to any questions you may have. Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Thank you! How often do they molt and what time of year? Will it be obvious? I’m asking because I need to keep Weezie’s wing/s clipped to prevent flying. What would be the proper way to time this? I just clipped one wing the day I brought them home. I looked carefully for blood feathers and didn’t see any, so I proceeded. It went fine. They are both very tame and friendly and enjoy being held and petted, which is strange because I keep reading that Muscovies don’t like it.
Hard to say when they will molt. It is duck to duck. Most will molt sometime at the end of summer to the beginning of winter, and some even in winter. For my flock last year, I had one molt I think it was in July, and the last one molted some time in November or December. So you can get a range for ducks. It will be quiet obvious, they will start dropping their wing feathers and you will see feathers everywhere.

Here is a few examples of molting ducks. Some will have a slow molt though where it is harder to see. My Muscovy have all been hard molters.
DSC_0966.JPG
PXL_20210911_152449539.jpg

Muscovy can actually be quiet tame if raised by hand from hatch. I got mine at 9 weeks old and they are pretty social. They will let me pet them if I have mealworms.

Last edited:
Yes please! You have the right idea. Its perfect to have one thread dedicated to it rather than a bunch of random ones. :)

Poultry don't need water or food in their coop at night. They will be perfectly fine eating and drinking in the morning. I don't put water or food in my coop since they are so messy with anything wet. With that in mind, just make sure you don't put food in their either. They use water to help wash down their food, so there's a chance you could have some issues if they don't have water when they eat. Before I knew this I offered food without water, never had any issues. I don't do it anymore though.

The very best thing you can do is free feed. Its much easier for you, and for them. They will regulate the amount of food they need, its actually very healthy for them to be free fed. Unlike cats and dogs who need breakfast and dinner. Unless you are fermenting your feed, (me) than you don't need to worry about feeding them breakfast and dinner, or daily at all. Just fill a feeder and your good to go. A rat proof feeder might be something to look into if you don't have a run setup that is rat proof.

Yes! That is certainly acceptable! This is a controversial topic, some will say that anything offered besides the commercial diet is going to dilute the nutrients, and isn't good for them. I agree with this, if your talking about scratch, or tired bugs, or corn. For any veggies, fruits, or forage, go for it! Of course, you want a commercial feed to be the largest part of their diet, you wouldn't want to feed mostly veggies/forage. So keep that in mind. Treats are typically 10% of the diet, that about 2 tbsp per duck per day. I don't worry about that for plants though, only anything dried, bagged, or advertised as a poultry treat. Vegetables and plants also contain beneficial Omega 3's, (grains are mostly Omega 6's, so plants are vital to get naturally occurring Omega 3's.) antioxidants which are vital for laying birds, and naturally occurring nutrients and vitamins rather than synthetic ones.

There are plants and vegetables you don't want to feed, this article is a fantastic guide for that. Thread 'The ULTIMATE list of DUCK Treats and Supplements...'
Thank you! The dry feed that the previous owner was giving them is called Purina Dumor 16% layer crumble (chicken food). Is this ok? And I guess I should clarify. Both ducks are hens.

How would I free feed the Muscovy without the pekin also eating too much? They are inseparable. Best friends. And I believe by what I’m seeing this far, they would never stop eating no matter how much I gave them.

I hate to be a bummer, but I'm also going to mention Avian Influenza since your free ranging. Where are you located? AI is running wild through the entire US and UK. Its very high risk, and if they catch = its fatal. Sometimes ducks can pass it, but its unlikely. If they do catch it, you need to report the case in your flock, and when you do, the flock will be euthanized. I highly recommend you read through this thread. Yes, its long but it has the answers to any questions you may have. Avian influenza found in South Carolina
I live in SE Michigan.

For food, free feeding works with most ducks, but Pekins that is not always true. Pekins like to pig out. When I first got Pekins they ate through a week's worth of food in a couple of days. So they can be better to put on a restricted diet. On average it is about 0.4lbs of food per duck a day.

As for what food, I have used crumble in a pinch, but a pellet is better when they are adults. With crumble their can be more dust and pieces they may accidentally inhale. They often sneeze with crumble because of this. But any all flock or duck feed will be fine for ducks. During molting, you may want to supplement their feed with extra protein. Dry cat food is a good way of doing this.

I also do not have my waterer in my coop. Too much of a mess.
Thank you! How often do they molt and what time of year? Will it be obvious? I’m asking because I need to keep Weezie’s wing/s clipped to prevent flying. What would be the proper way to time this? I just clipped one wing the day I brought them home. I looked carefully for blood feathers and didn’t see any, so I proceeded. It went fine. They are both very tame and friendly and enjoy being held and petted, which is strange because I keep reading that Muscovies don’t like it.

Back
Top Bottom