New duck owner questions

Others have answered your questions. I can see how excited you are and understand it because I waited 25 years to be able to have my flock. I do want to prepare you mentally for possibly losing them to predators. Everything from dogs and cats, to raccoons, Foxes, and mink easily kill domestic ducks. Few make it longer than 3 months free ranging. It's shocking to find them slaughtered, and it is preventable. They make walk in movable pens in kits. The kits need to be beefed up with 1/2" hardware cloth and heavy duty zip ties, but they can be good protection from hawks and owls, and moderate protection from ground predators. We have them and are able to place them in very open areas with several hundred feet of cut grass around them. Predators dislike crossing large open spaces, so it helps to deter them. The other option is to use electric netting. Both allow you to move them so they always have fresh grass. Jut wanted you to know some possible options to offer protection to them that you may not know about. Whatever you do, do not use chicken wire! Predators slice through it in 10 seconds. It keeps birds IN but keeps nothing out.

This is the type of kit I'm referring to: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095Y34KH...colid=1IQZ0M1B8R8NC&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 This about the biggest size you can move alone. You want to have about 6-8 spots to move it to, to save your grass. If you have another person to help you, you can go with the next size bigger, but honestly for 2 ducks, the smaller size is fine.

Hope this helps...

Others have answered your questions. I can see how excited you are and understand it because I waited 25 years to be able to have my flock. I do want to prepare you mentally for possibly losing them to predators. Everything from dogs and cats, to raccoons, Foxes, and mink easily kill domestic ducks. Few make it longer than 3 months free ranging. It's shocking to find them slaughtered, and it is preventable. They make walk in movable pens in kits. The kits need to be beefed up with 1/2" hardware cloth and heavy duty zip ties, but they can be good protection from hawks and owls, and moderate protection from ground predators. We have them and are able to place them in very open areas with several hundred feet of cut grass around them. Predators dislike crossing large open spaces, so it helps to deter them. The other option is to use electric netting. Both allow you to move them so they always have fresh grass. Jut wanted you to know some possible options to offer protection to them that you may not know about. Whatever you do, do not use chicken wire! Predators slice through it in 10 seconds. It keeps birds IN but keeps nothing out.

This is the type of kit I'm referring to: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095Y34KH...colid=1IQZ0M1B8R8NC&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 This about the biggest size you can move alone. You want to have about 6-8 spots to move it to, to save your grass. If you have another person to help you, you can go with the next size bigger, but honestly for 2 ducks, the smaller size is fine.

Hope this helps...
This^^^
I was just thinking this, though couldn’t have put it any better. Especially with these tiny phone keys. I miss the luxury of my computer. :p

Hope this helps...
Thank you. Wow, I must say, I’m starting to feel like the odd man out. Is free ranging a thing of the past? These ducks are a year old and have free ranged their entire lives. Our back yard is fenced in. We have had raccoons, skunks, and opossums over the years. But those are nocturnal and the ducks are housed before dark and not let out until daylight. I'm sure there are hawks around. Coyotes have never in 35 years been seen in our yard. I grew up on a farm in Iowa, and I am very aware of freak things happening though. I do love these girls already, and I’ve only had them 5 days. I’ll have to give it some more thought. Again, thank you.

Another question. Georgie, the pekin, has laid an egg every morning since she’s been here (5 days). What a surprise gift! However, Weezie has not laid one yet. I asked the previous owner about it and she stated “she’s probably all egged out”. Apparently she had been sitting on “about 35 eggs”. I don’t understand the whole dynamic of that situation, and I don’t want to keep pestering her. She did NOT hatch them out, so I’m assuming the eggs were disposed of. Not sure why. Anyhow, I’m just concerned about her not laying. Do some hens not lay? I get worried about her getting egg bound, but I really don’t know how this works. Are muskovies not known to be reliable layers? I know they go broody a lot, but that would mean they also lay eggs. Any ideas what’s going on?

Another question. Georgie, the pekin, has laid an egg every morning since she’s been here (5 days). What a surprise gift! However, Weezie has not laid one yet. I asked the previous owner about it and she stated “she’s probably all egged out”. Apparently she had been sitting on “about 35 eggs”. I don’t understand the whole dynamic of that situation, and I don’t want to keep pestering her. She did NOT hatch them out, so I’m assuming the eggs were disposed of. Not sure why. Anyhow, I’m just concerned about her not laying. Do some hens not lay? I get worried about her getting egg bound, but I really don’t know how this works. Are muskovies not known to be reliable layers? I know they go broody a lot, but that would mean they also lay eggs. Any ideas what’s going on?
It's normal for them to stop laying if they are stressed by a move or molting. I'm not sure about specifically Muskovies, because that's the one breed I don't have.

I just thought of a book, I bet you'd love! It's by a lady that started and runs a waterfowl rescue, and all proceeds go to the rescue. https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Pet...qid=1654349010&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-8 It is the most comprehensive book but written for all duck owners and really easy to read! It's the only one a person needs on their book shelf if they own ducks.

It's normal for them to stop laying if they are stressed by a move or molting. I'm not sure about specifically Muskovies, because that's the one breed I don't have.

I just thought of a book, I bet you'd love! It's by a lady that started and runs a waterfowl rescue, and all proceeds go to the rescue. https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Pet-Duck-Guidebook-feathered/dp/1501043803/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=books,+ducks&link_code=qs&qid=1654349010&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-8 It is the most comprehensive book but written for all duck owners and really easy to read! It's the only one a person needs on their book shelf if they own ducks.
Thank you SO much! She actually laid this morning! Yippee! I bet she was stressed, as you mentioned, even though she sure seems very happy. 😂 I will definitely get that book. Thanks! This group is so helpful. I’m so grateful. ❤️

Both of my girls have been laying an egg a day. We’ve really been enjoying the eggs. They are so tasty! But this morning I had quite a surprise. My eggs tasted fishy for lack of a better word. I had to toss them, I couldn’t handle it.

I made two scrambled eggs. Both eggs were from the same duck. One was a day old, the other was two days old. They had not been refrigerated. I have not switched their food in any way. Can anybody help? I did read about omega 3 a little, and how some ducks can’t properly digest it, but like I said, I have not switched anything in their diet, and this is the first time they’ve tasted like this. The food they are currently finishing up does not contain any of the high omega 3 ingredients (fish, flax, canola products).

Any ideas are MUCH appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom