New Duck Parents

handsandhart

Hatching
Aug 3, 2016
About a month ago we rescued a three day old duckling (named Ollie) that got separated from its family and was unable to swim or walk without falling down. So we decided to take on this adorable creature and try to give it a great home that it wasn't going to receive in the wild. We then decided she would be better off with a friend. We adopted through a local feed store. We named him Andy.
1f354.png
They get along swimmingly.
1f609.png

We give them plenty of niacin and they turkey game bird crumble starter, 20% protein. The one we adopted is doing great!! The wild one seams to always be lying down. When she cleans herself she sometimes will fall over. She also will not walk for an exttended amount of time. When swimming, she does not swim like Andy, (going completely underwster) or stretching up to look around.

We were hoping someone in our area (Reno, NV) could point us in the right direction or that could recommend someone to take a look at her and make sure we are doing things correctly. We love animals and have experience with chickens, but so much with ducks. We are eager to learn and appreciate any advice.

Thank you in adavance and we look forward to hearing some good feedback. ✌️

I have, we have read up on so much material and we seem to be good there. We are hoping to maybe even people local people with more experience than us and possible look at her to see if she is kind of lame and that's why she was left behind or do we need to change something.

Thank you! ✌️

I don't know what breed she is, but in the U.S. there is a Migratory Bird Act that restricts who can keep wild waterfowl. It may or may not apply to your situation.

And there is a Where Am I Where Are You forum organized by location - that may be an idea.

I am glad for compassionate people like you.

Back
Top Bottom