New duck

snanna

Chirping
Mar 28, 2014
St. Louis, MO USA
I have three welsh harlequins and one Muskovy that are about eight years old -all female. I just gained an almost one year old male Peking today. He lost his mate a couple months ago and was very depressed and that’s how I have him. I am worried that my current ducks are going to destroy him if left alone with him tonight. They keep picking on him for the few hours I’ve had him. Any suggestions? Should I keep him separated for a while? I am worried about leaving them in the same pen tonight. Please help!

I have three welsh harlequins and one Muskovy that are about eight years old -all female. I just gained an almost one year old male Peking today. He lost his mate a couple months ago and was very depressed and that’s how I have him. I am worried that my current ducks are going to destroy him if left alone with him tonight. They keep picking on him for the few hours I’ve had him. Any suggestions? Should I keep him separated for a while? I am worried about leaving them in the same pen tonight. Please help!
Yes, I would keep him seperated for a while in a way they can see but not touch him so they can get used to him being there.

Definitely want to keep them separated where they can see each other. You will eventually see the other ducks laying next to the fencing. Then you move to the next stage where they spend time together without a barrier. You will want multiple food and water locations so they can't prevent him from eating. You can also put him in the coop at night with a barrier between them. I like to use a dog crate. After they get along fairly well during the day, you can remove the barrier in the coop. Depending on the ducks, full integration can take weeks or months.

Back
Top Bottom