New duckling! Help?

Pics

DuckMochi

Songster
Jun 16, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Well we did it! We got a duckling so our mallard can have a friend again. It’s a pekin duckling, don’t know the gender. And boy is it LOUD! It’s been peeping ever since we took it out of the bin at the store which made me feel horrible for taking it from its siblings but the little one won’t be alone forever. It’ll have our other duck plus the 5 chickens we have. But it is alone right now. We put it’s cage up with fresh water and the baby food it needs so it’s definitely set up to grow healthy. But I’m still a bit worried about it being alone. I’m planning on spending lots of time with it so it doesn’t get too lonely.

We brought our other duck in to see it and she was afraid of the little thing lol I don’t blame her considering how loud it was peeping lol. It seems pretty healthy. Pretty tired after everything but I don’t blame it, the poor thing is probably pretty scared right now. Its nose Seems to really be clogged so I put it in a tiny bit of water in the tub but it did not like that one bit lol. Now it’s sitting on my lap just kinda chilling out. It didn’t eat any food or drink any water when we put it in the cage. We’ve raised two ducklings before but they had each other and 5 other chicks so I guess what I’m doing is asking for help? Any tips or things to know?

0C7A8855-EC5D-4E78-B504-1643941FD030.jpeg 100B197E-5616-41EF-A10F-0ECB35D20504.jpeg

:loveThat's a big duckling you have there! I'm used to call ducks so it looks huge to me!
You could try giving it a mirror and a stuffed animal.
Um. . I remember a friend giving someone else the advice to try holding a wet washcloth on the nostril to soften it up. I bet when it calms down it will start drinking and dipping its beak and get it blown out.

What kind of waterer are you trying to use? It needs something that it can stick its whole head in at one time. We use a gallon jug with a hole cut in the side of it just above the half-way mark...they can stick their head into the hole and down into the water and clear their nostrils and eyes. It will take it a little bit to settle down and get comfortable with the new surroundings, smells, and sounds. Anytime there is chanve in their environment it stresses them. It would probably be best to put it in your brooder and allow it to settle, get warm, and when it feels safe will get water and food. Ducks can see in the dark and less movement around it will give it the feeling of safety and it will calm down. It may peep for a little bit, but it won't take long for it to settle....Good Luck...and Congratulations!! On getting a replacement so soon.....:)

You can try VetRx. I use it all the time. I used it in a spray bottle form after following the instructions of how to mix with water. It clears up within a day or two of using. It worked for my chickens eye infections, my ducklings cough and sneezing, even had a bunch of tractor supply ducklings given to me with clogged nostrils and it worked amazing.

@CntryBoy777 we just have a regular waterer. A jug that's connected to a pan and the water goes into the pan. We used it for when my other ducks and chickens were babies. We don't really have anything else we could use at the moment.

@Nyla we don't have any of that but would putting a warm washcloth to it help?

Can you find some kind of old Tupperware dish you can cut a hole in the lid of? Like an ice cream bucket? It really needs something it can at least dip it's entire beak in if not the whole head.

Back
Top Bottom