New ducks ! Anybody got some tips?

Shabby Chic-Hens

has eyes like a chicken
Premium Feather Member
Sep 6, 2022
Maine, United States, North America, Earth.
Hi there. I never actually thought I’d be on this forum , but here I am!
I recently was given eight Muscovy ducks. Please help me! I have not sexed them yet. I don’t know anything about taking care of these cuties other than their water must be pretty deep, so all tips would be appreciated . Thanks everyone !

Shabby .

Hi there. I never actually thought I’d be on this forum , but here I am!
I recently was given eight Muscovy ducks. Please help me! I have not sexed them yet. I don’t know anything about taking care of these cuties other than their water must be pretty deep, so all tips would be appreciated . Thanks everyone !

Shabby .
Welcome to BYC
Do you know how old they are ?
If you post pics we may be able to help with sexing them
@Miss Lydia has Muscovy ducks
She will be a great help

It's easy. Just make sure they have plenty of food and clean water and ignore the mess. That's the way they like it.
Depends on the ducks lol
Mine tend to be very spoiled as they started in the house first. It all started with 2 then a few eggs in the bator then a few more maybe bought a few till I had 16 of them
Because they were in the house I was constantly cleaning so they never ever had a dirty area
Now they won’t settle in till I clean their pen
They do have their own outside house now ( thank goodness ) but we have a routine and momma maid comes in the morning abc again before bed 😂

How old are these ducks? if ducklings they will need to be kept warm since they most likely aren't feathered in. Duckling appropriate feed like waterfowl starter grower or chicken starter grower and some type of niacin since waterfowl can come down with niacin deficiency especially if feed chick feed but you can start them out with Nutritional yeast sprinkled over their feed at 1 Tab to each cup of feed your using. And a water container they can't climb into but deep enough for them to be able to clean their eyes and nares out. We have examples so give us an idea of age and of course sharing pictures is always welcome.

How old are these ducks? if ducklings they will need to be kept warm since they most likely aren't feathered in. Duckling appropriate feed like waterfowl starter grower or chicken starter grower and some type of niacin since waterfowl can come down with niacin deficiency especially if feed chick feed but you can start them out with Nutritional yeast sprinkled over their feed at 1 Tab to each cup of feed your using. And a water container they can't climb into but deep enough for them to be able to clean their eyes and nares out. We have examples so give us an idea of age and of course sharing pictures is always welcome.
They are ten weeks old. I’ll get pictures asap

I got three ducklings with no experience. I’ve learned that plywood coop floors will get ruined quickly and need lots of bedding. I use straw. They nest on the ground usually, and make sure they don’t get in super cold water, bc my duck peanut went into cold shock from cold water. Ducks are super fun! Mine are escape artists lol. I give mine a bucket of water, not a drinker Good luck!

I got three ducklings with no experience. I’ve learned that plywood coop floors will get ruined quickly and need lots of bedding. I use straw. They nest on the ground usually, and make sure they don’t get in super cold water, bc my duck peanut went into cold shock from cold water. Ducks are super fun! Mine are escape artists lol. I give mine a bucket of water, not a drinker Good luck!
I use a good tarp on my cement flooring then add my bedding
So far in a year I haven’t had a single leak through
This would save your wood floors

Back
Top Bottom