New ducks? Duck drama begins...

Bridger Davis

Songster
Jul 25, 2017
Evans Colorado
Ok I have so much to tell you guys! First off, I know that it's been a while since I've been here. Last time I started a thread, we revealed that my biggest duck, a blue swedish, is a male. His name is carmen.

Between last time and now, he has started bullying my dog, and being mean to the girls. I plan to give him to my aunt Tina.

I found this ad on Craigslist for some awesome laying breeds.
https://denver.craigslist.org/grd/d/littleton-egg-laying-ducks/6924705752.html

It's nearby to where we live, and they are a good age. I want to get 2 of those gold star hybrids, and 1 khaki Campbell. That means total, after giving my drake to my aunt, I will have 6 females. I realize this means I will not have fertilized eggs from any of my girls, but I think if one of them goes broody next spring, I may get some fertile eggs online so I can sell the ducklings they hatch.

Anyways, what should I know about introducing new birds to my existing flock? And as a side note, my aunt Tina is going to buy a duck as well to be with Carmen at their house. Will he be nice to her? What should I know about moving him? Thanks in advance, I love you guys!

@Miss Lydia @A_Fowl_Guy @Amiga

I believe you should do the same method as introducing chickens or other fowl and that is the see-no-touch method for a few weeks. Keep them separated by a fence or crate within the coop/next to run so they get used to each other.
A few weeks? Wow... That's just longer than I thought? Thank you! I suppose if it has to be done, I could arrange to keep the newbies in the run... : )

I’m doing that for my keets and poults right now. The keets are in a kennel in the coop and the poults are with the flock now.

Interesting... I sure hope they get along! Do you think Carmen will get along with his new female? He's usually a pretty docile drake, but recently for some reason he started pecking and harassing the females...

Interesting... I sure hope they get along! Do you think Carmen will get along with his new female? He's usually a pretty docile drake, but recently for some reason he started pecking and harassing the females...

It’s breeding season and he’s a hormonal bird. It should die down sometime. More experienced duck owners can give you a better idea.

A few weeks? Wow... That's just longer than I thought? Thank you! I suppose if it has to be done, I could arrange to keep the newbies in the run... : )

Every introduction is different. Some go smoothly and birds can be together faster (after quarantine of course). Some introductions take longer. I think my best introduction was in one afternoon and I was comfortable leaving everyone together unattended without a divider. I think my worst one was 6-8 weeks of see no touch, then limited interaction with certain combinations, then eventually everyone together all the time. I like to set up a see no touch divider or something. Then watch them. Once it gets to a point where they ignore the ducks on the other side of the barrier consistently, it is generally safe to remove the barrier. Trust me, you will know if it's going poorly. I've had birds trying to attack each other through the fencing, pacing, making noise, charging, banging on the bars/fence (these are all signs that they shouldn't be together yet!). Peacefully acting the same as normal is the goal, being quiet, eating, drinking, preening, etc. Once this is the norm, they can all mingle. Once you merge them, continue to give at least two feeders and two waterers, it will give everyone options and no one can be bullied out of eating/drinking.

If Tina only gets one female to be with the drake it may or may not work out. She may get over-mated and kinda beat up, but he will likely be lonely if he is the only duck, so I think it's worth trying.

Back
Top Bottom