New egg from Victoria BC

Ivy Mustard

Hatching
May 19, 2017
Morning!

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm the proud mama of a mixed flock, my first. I've wanted chickens for years and finally got some day-olds. They are over 3 months now and doing well, thanks in large part to help I've found on the forums here.

My girls are Mulan (buff orpington), Khutulan (rhode island red), Tamar (speckled sussex), Mochi (silver laced wyandotte).

Chicken crises to date:
1. I have chicks! Why did I think I could have chicks? Please don't die chicks.
Resolution: Chicks did not die. Chicks are great.
2. One of my chicks got munched on by my dogs and is wounded (Khutulan, my RIR).
Resolution: Separation, hand feeding, lots of TLC, slow recovery.
3. My wounded chick is recovering well but I think her wound might be infected.
Resolution: Epsom salt bath, wound irrigation, found a vet willing to see a chicken, oral antibiotics (liquid), lots of help from the internet on administering oral antibiotics before I figured out I could just put them on rice and she's eat it happily.
4. My chicks are destroying my home. I need to finish my coop and move them outside.
Resolution: Finally finishing my coop. My house is a house again!
5. I'm pretty sure my wyandotte is a rooster.
Resolution: I'm still suspicious.

I just saw your avatar, but i need a sideways pic if possible....:oops:
mochisideview.jpg

Looks like a girl to me. I see very rounded hackle and saddle feathers, as well as small to non-existent comb and wattles.
Thank you! I'm really hoping you're correct. It's been tough to know for sure, especially without an age mate of the same breed to compare. :)

Back
Top Bottom