New Egg Hatcher.......Obviously losing my mind :)

Crazychicgal

Hatching
Apr 25, 2015
Hi there! Its day 22 for my 21 eggs and one hatched out at about 12:30 this am. No signs of pipping on any others yet and actually no sign of pipping from the egg that hatched too. I will wait until at least day 25 for the others however I am curious as to performing the float test. What are the true rules to opening the incubator? I don't want to open the incubator to perform the test if it will be detrimental. The chick drying in the incubator I will leave for the 3 days before I remove it in case others are pipping. Temp is between 99.5-100.5 and humidity is 65-70%. Can you please verify when it is ok to open the incubator during the hatching process. Also, Will you hear chirping from inside the egg for all eggs? Thanks!

Hi there! Its day 22 for my 21 eggs and one hatched out at about 12:30 this am. No signs of pipping on any others yet and actually no sign of pipping from the egg that hatched too. I will wait until at least day 25 for the others however I am curious as to performing the float test. What are the true rules to opening the incubator? I don't want to open the incubator to perform the test if it will be detrimental. The chick drying in the incubator I will leave for the 3 days before I remove it in case others are pipping. Temp is between 99.5-100.5 and humidity is 65-70%. Can you please verify when it is ok to open the incubator during the hatching process. Also, Will you hear chirping from inside the egg for all eggs? Thanks!
That answer to your questions will vary from hatcher to hatcher. Many hatchers are "hands off". Once the hatch goes into lockdown there is no opening the bator until the hatch is done. End of story. Some of us open the bator after lockdown and during hatch (with no ill effects).

If there are no pips opening the bator is not going to effect the other eggs. If there are eggs pipping/zipping and you open the bator without adequate humidity, there is a chance that the drop in humidity or sudden change in air can cause complications.

I keep my humidity around 75% during hatch because I am NOT a hands off hatcher. I remove my chicks from the bator during hatch, remove shells and assist if needs be. (And no, I have never ever had a chick that has pipped or zipped die or get shrinkwrapped because I have opened the bator.) I do not believe in making a chick go 2-3 days w/o food & water. I get them in the brooder where they can get some electrolyte aided H2O and some crumbles.

It's a matter of personal choice. You should only do what's comfortable for you. If that's leaving the bator closed until the end, thats what you should do. If you are comfortable with moving chicks/candleing after "hatch day" or taking care of something in the bator that needs to be taken care of and you have adequate humidity, then that's what you do. I would advise to have water &/or wet sponge nearby in case you need to get compensate for lost humidity though.

As for the float test, you should candle the eggs first and make sure that there are no pips before you water candle. You need a bowl of warm, about 100F water. You individually put the eggs in let them rise or sink and look for independent movement. If they float AND move you know that they are alive. The kicker is, you can not be 100% sure that one that does not move is dead. Chances are it's not viable, but it could be asleep in theory.

No you will not always hear chirping from inside the egg or see movement before you see an external pip.

You are using a forced air incubator???

Good luck in whatever you decide.

That answer to your questions will vary from hatcher to hatcher. Many hatchers are "hands off". Once the hatch goes into lockdown there is no opening the bator until the hatch is done. End of story. Some of us open the bator after lockdown and during hatch (with no ill effects).

If there are no pips opening the bator is not going to effect the other eggs. If there are eggs pipping/zipping and you open the bator without adequate humidity, there is a chance that the drop in humidity or sudden change in air can cause complications.

I keep my humidity around 75% during hatch because I am NOT a hands off hatcher. I remove my chicks from the bator during hatch, remove shells and assist if needs be. (And no, I have never ever had a chick that has pipped or zipped die or get shrinkwrapped because I have opened the bator.) I do not believe in making a chick go 2-3 days w/o food & water. I get them in the brooder where they can get some electrolyte aided H2O and some crumbles.

It's a matter of personal choice. You should only do what's comfortable for you. If that's leaving the bator closed until the end, thats what you should do. If you are comfortable with moving chicks/candleing after "hatch day" or taking care of something in the bator that needs to be taken care of and you have adequate humidity, then that's what you do. I would advise to have water &/or wet sponge nearby in case you need to get compensate for lost humidity though.

As for the float test, you should candle the eggs first and make sure that there are no pips before you water candle. You need a bowl of warm, about 100F water. You individually put the eggs in let them rise or sink and look for independent movement. If they float AND move you know that they are alive. The kicker is, you can not be 100% sure that one that does not move is dead. Chances are it's not viable, but it could be asleep in theory.

No you will not always hear chirping from inside the egg or see movement before you see an external pip.

You are using a forced air incubator???

Good luck in whatever you decide.

X's 2

Thank you so much for your reply! I think I will be hands off until mid day tomorrow then take the little one out. I did see a pip in another egg as I left early this evening, just got in and seems to be about the same. I know it can be quite a long time after the first pip to hatch so I will leave things be for now. When I remove the hopefully multiple chicks tomorrow I will take the sponge route to ensure humidity remains high. Thanks again. Ive over researched to the extent that things are starting to contradict and Im losing it!!! lol Oh the power of the internet jacking with your mind! ;)

Back
Top Bottom