New Egg Layer dropping 2 shell less eggs per night

MarcoT

Hatching
Aug 19, 2020
Hello! New to the forum and new to keeping chickens! I have 4 White Rocks and 1 Plymouth Rock that are about 5-6 months old. Two of them just started laying 5 days ago. A third one has started "pooping" out 2 eggs a night without any shells. She drops them while she is roosting. I have read that this may be common for new layers but its been consistently 2 "eggs" for the last few nights. I switched them over to a layer feed yesterday and have been offering oyster shells on the side since the beginning. I also read that I could mix the oyster shells in with the layer feed for an extra calcium boost. Should I be concerned about the shell less eggs and the frequency of them at this point (2 per night). Also interestingly one of the two who have been laying stopped laying yesterday and today. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. Any help would be great! I am feeding them organic layer feed (now) and offering oyster shells on the side. They also get less than 10% treats daily, usually a mix of tomatoes, watermelon and freeze dried worms. We also have been mixing a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into their 5 gallon waterer once per day. Thank you!!!

Why are you sure it is one hen doing both shell-less eggs? Could it be two different ones?

You probably do not have to worry--all sorts of weird things happen when pullets start to lay, and it usually settles down fairly soon. Shell-less eggs, extra eggs, and days with no eggs are all within the range of "normal" for new layers.

You are already offering oyster shell, so they will have plenty of calcium available to make proper egg shells whenever their bodies are ready to do so.

My pullet layed shell less eggs on and pff for a couple week when started laying just ensure she getting calcium with layer feed and oyster shell problem with mine was she was bottom pecking order so struggling to get enough food which i sorted and no more shell less eggs hope this helps
Sam xx

Back
Top Bottom