New -- Eggs Internally Pipped Yesterday. Now What?

BHep....~I Think you might need to up Humidity in the Incubator.? }}}80-85% Humidity. Read the other posts, that's what I am doing. lol I'm on my 1st hatch, so I am also learning.(Hatch date: Tuesday 8th) ~I think by increasing the humidity, it helps them hatch faster.
fl.gif
Good luck on your hatch, Julie

Hi--

The 5 ducklings are still stuck in the same positions. Three of them have almost their entire bills sticking out. I didn't make the holes large enough for the other 2 to do that. Fortunately, all of them are still alive and peeping.

The membrane is white, looks like paper, and is tough. Should I keep peeling it away, bit by bit? I have the humidity up to 80-85% and know that opening up the incubator to grab each egg is horrible. On the other hand, if I don't help them, they will just be stuck, right?

Lately, Beaker has decided to spend time in her nest box cubbyhole on top of her eggs (I've let her keep a few). It's as if she wants to incubate them, but she has the attention span of a nat. After a couple of hours, she gets bored and decides to hang out with me instead.

Once you start helping them then there is no stopping. You cannot just open the top and think they can do the rest. They cannot hatch by themselves, especially if they are stuck in one position. You will have to continue to remove shell and peel back the membrane. Always wait another 4-6 hours before working on it any further. I use a toothpick for the membrane, the shell can be done by hand. Your goal is making it to the half way mark of the egg. After that it is up to them to come out, and they will once their yolk has been absorbed. Do not pull them out or they can bleed to death. There is no more shrink wrap risk after you have reached the half mark.

The Duck ABC's--

Thank you for the last message. I was afraid that would be the answer. It's time to go at it again.
hide.gif

You, Duckyfromoz, and everyone else have been so helpful! I love this forum. What a fantastic group of people.

I'm confused on why the egg was being poked/hole made in it & breaking pieces of the shell off. ~ I thought Hatch Day was Today, March 4th? The day is still early. ~ Good luck with your hatch, Julie

Today IS hatch day, but they internally pipped 3 days ago. They were rocking and peeping a lot, but then were very still and quiet since 2 days ago.

It's a good thing we broke a hole. The membrane was very thick and tough. There's no way they could have gotten out of it. "Shrink wrap" is a good description.

I just got down peeling away as much membrane and shell as possible. The ducklings are being very vocal. It's making my drake act anxious towards me (he's even making it very difficult to type right now--he's poking the keyboard!).

I feel fairly content with the current state of things, which is saying a lot today.

The membrane is white, looks like paper, and is tough. Should I keep peeling it away, bit by bit?

At this stage just keeping the membrane wet is the best thing to do. I have used a cotton tip soaked in warm water to do this- as well as spraying them with a fine mist. They will most likely still hatch on there own in time as long as they can move around- so keeping the membrane wet is important. When it is wet- you can actually see the veins in it- and watch for the size and amount of blood in them. No assistance should be given other then keeping it wet while there is still blood in the veins. So glad to wake up this morning to read they are all still alive.​

Back
Top Bottom