***New England Winter - Now this is getting stupid***PICS ADDED

I worked a 12-hour shift last night (thoughtfully extended to 15 hours by the day shift, some of whom got up at the normal time and were therefore 3 hours late to work). The wind was so strong it blew snow *around the edges of the window panels* on the windward side of the unit. Snow INSIDE the patient rooms on the sills. It was totally surreal. I'm grateful to be snug at home!

How do you measure snow (my first winter in Maine)? We've got some drifts that look about 3', and some patches that are almost bare. The wind is insane. It's still snowing heavily, bigger flakes now.

Here is the coop:

IMG_3044.JPG

See the snow on the window? That's INSIDE! It blew into the rafters. Poor chickies. I'll have to go clean it out when the snow stops. That snow bank in front of the coop was above my knees.

Last edited:
Quote:
great shots.

still snowing here, it slowed down though, but really windy.
i think we got around , some aeras look less than a foot and some look about a foot.

I take that back
hmm.png
we got over a foot and maybe a foot in half out back!

Thirty MPH wind gusts and 7 above zero make for a very uncomfortable outdoor situation. Not sure how much snow has come down yet. When I left for work at 0510 this morning there was only half an inch in the driveway.

Brrr, stay warm everyone!

Quote:
Cute Coop! Measuring snow amounts is an unscientific art. After a few years, you will discover the areas of your property where the snow doesn't drift as much. I use my back steps as a measuring/guesstimating spot. My four inches of snow has now doubled since this morning and the storm has started up again. Horizontally blowing snow.

Quote:
Scientifically you get a cylinder that will remain cold--so the snow won't melt--and capture the snow in it. However, if you want to do it like most people do, you find the deepest snow on your place, measure that and then add a couple of inches or a foot just in case some of it melted or blew away.
lol.png

cute pup! my corgi was like that this morning! loves the snow but hates the rain for some reason
roll.png

it was weird this morning when i went to feed the chickies in the garage coop this morning and right as i walked in there was a small snow drift inside the door!

Back
Top Bottom