New...few questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1stChicky, Mar 1, 2013.

1. 1stChicky

1stChicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    NJ
    hi! i got 6 chicks today from tractor supply...unfortunately the guy in the store had no idea about anything. he couldn't answer any of my questions or gve me any info. i'm a first time owner. can you guys tell me what kind of chicks these are? how old they are? for now i'm reading a book i bought there on raising chickens, i just started it....and i'm going to search on here and online...but right now i have them in a room away from my pets. they're in a box (no top) with newspaper shavings on the bottom, a feeder, a waterer, and a red light heat lamp on them. is that ok for now?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    I am no good a telling you anything about breed. As far as age they look like they are starting to get some feathers so my guess is 5 days old. I have only had chicks that small once, so it is a total guess! Good luck!

3. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hi welcome to the new chick world I to am new to it we got our chicks a couple was ago from TSC. I have done so much reach and learned so much from just these couple of wks.
    Make sure you keep them under a heat lamp it has to be 95 degrees for them then after they start getting their feathers you move heir heat source down like ours is down to about 80 degrees now they started spreading out around their box I too have mine in a big container with no lid but really high! I see your using newspaper people have told me to shy away from it as it is not good for the chickens get the TSC brand cheap and works great! When it starts to get warm out you can take them out under supervision and let them explore and don't forget they like little treats mostly all your left over scraps they will eat in moderation I hope this helps! And I hope people add to what I have said to he you out

4. 1stChicky

1stChicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    NJ
    thanks for the tip!! i'm going back to tractor supply tomorrow to get the bedding. wow they're really that young-5 days?

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Get the large flakes they are too big for them to eat. Hang the feeder and water or elevate it on a board about the height of their back to keep shavings and poop out. If you give them anything solid as treats they will need grit. Yogurt and scrambled egg would be ok without grit.They appear to be about 4 days old. At a little over a week they will start trying to fly so a lid will be in your near future. Keep one area in the brooder at about 90-95 degrees and let the rest be much cooler so they can cool off if they get overheated. Plenty of feed and water at all times. A 2ft x 4ft enclosure will seem huge right now but will do till they are about 4 weeks old. Bigger is better. As for breed I would say cute. There is some excellent information in the learning center.
    and [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by