New First Hatch Please help us.

mommaO4

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Day 22 and 7 have cracked and chirping. It's been around 3 hours since it started. Is 83% humidity too high? When or should I know when to help them?

gavenkh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
I am assuming that you are doing chicken eggs? If so, that humidity is a little high. They are usually around 60 or 70 during lockdown. If you are doing duck eggs then obviously they are a little early and that is about the perfect humidity for them. As long as they are chirping and moving around I would not try to help them. Could do more harm than help.

gavenkh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
What kind of incubator are you using? If it has venting holes are they open? Do you have water dishes in there to add humidity? I wouldn't do too much to change it... Its not extremely high.

mommaO4

Hatching
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Little Giant Still Air Ventilation holes are open. Water base is under the wire on bottom.
Are the suppose to hatch within a certain time frame after piping? Two are cracked where we can actually see their beaks and breathing. ONe it cracked almost all the way around. Others are just cracked in a small area where the egg tooth broke the shell.
This is very stressful for me. Yikes! Don't know if I can do this again.

gavenkh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
i know how you feel. i am going through the same thing! my 1st duckling egg started piping last night. now i have 2. they are rocking back and forth and chirping. i WANT to help them but i KNOW i shouldn't.
wink.png

gavenkh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
i leave mine in for at least 24 hours. some say they are fine for 3-4 days. i usually can't stand it and take them out sometime around 36-48 hrs.

clap.gif
for you and your new chick!

Top Bottom