New flock member

Beckrns

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2018
Hi,
Someone I know has been left with a single female Abercot Ranger duck- beautiful girl, and is looking to rehome her. I am desperate to take her but my question is; she's 12 months old and my flock of 2 drakes and 3 ducks are only 4 months old and have all grown up together.... do you think they'll accept her being single and older?
Thanks! X

Hello Beckrns:frow

I don't think your flock will accept her straightaway, and the best thing to do is separate her from the others, but make sure they can still see each other, so they can get used to each other.

It should be alright in a week or 2, but there are some who aren't accepted for a long time!;)

Hi
Thanks for this, so it's gonna be pretty much the same now no matter what age they are? I didn't know whether they'd be more accepting because they're younger...

I dunno why everyones birds are so mean! i threw a huge pekin drake in my run one mprning and by nite they were huddled together

Same deal with my scovie duckling and my cayuga. Tossed them in had a laugh at the antics and cuddles by nite!

Sounds like she would be perfect since it wouldnt hurt for you to have more females anyway !

Best thing to do if they start picking on her too much is then have plan B and have them live side by side for a while and free range together and see how that goes. Sometimes ducks will look at another new duck as an intruder and want to rid the place of them, sometimes they just go about their business like nothing has happened.

I dunno why everyones birds are so mean! i threw a huge pekin drake in my run one mprning and by nite they were huddled together
Same deal with my scovie duckling and my cayuga. Tossed them in had a laugh at the antics and cuddles by nite!

Sounds like she would be perfect since it wouldnt hurt for you to have more females anyway !

That's exactly what I thought tbh, I've got her now cause I do need more females, I'm just gonna keep her in a crate with them for a couple of days and then see what happens, it won't hurt the young ones to have a big bossy lady to keep them in check!

Best thing to do if they start picking on her too much is then have plan B and have them live side by side for a while and free range together and see how that goes. Sometimes ducks will look at another new duck as an intruder and want to rid the place of them, sometimes they just go about their business like nothing has happened.
I'm hoping it will be the latter, I'll give them a couple of days of being in eachothers presence and then see what happens! Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom