new flock of ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cbradio, Sep 26, 2014.

1. cbradio

cbradio Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    I acquired a group of ameraucanas on Sunday. How soon do you think they would "chill out" and start laying again?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It can take a couple of weeks or longer for hens who were actively laying to settle from a stressor (such as a move) and return to production. Were they reported to be laying prior to the move?

3. cbradio

cbradio Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    Yes, I also realized they may need more light as the days are getting shorter.

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

With winter moving in and your location unknown it could take many weeks between the stress of the move and the possibly of them shutting down (or a least really tapering back) egg laying for the season... That is unless you provide supplemental light so they think summer is still in full swing as they unstress...

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Personally, when I have gotten laying hens, they will lay for a day, then there will be a break of 4-5 days, and then they lay normally. They could take a longer break, but the ones I got generally were laying within a week.

It depends on where you live, but I live in western SD, and even though we are into fall, I do not expect a real big shift in egg production until mid November, and that is without artificial light. If you live way north, that would be earlier.

MK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by