new flock of ameraucanas

cbradio

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 30, 2014
I acquired a group of ameraucanas on Sunday. How soon do you think they would "chill out" and start laying again?

It can take a couple of weeks or longer for hens who were actively laying to settle from a stressor (such as a move) and return to production. Were they reported to be laying prior to the move?

Yes, I also realized they may need more light as the days are getting shorter.

With winter moving in and your location unknown it could take many weeks between the stress of the move and the possibly of them shutting down (or a least really tapering back) egg laying for the season... That is unless you provide supplemental light so they think summer is still in full swing as they unstress...

Personally, when I have gotten laying hens, they will lay for a day, then there will be a break of 4-5 days, and then they lay normally. They could take a longer break, but the ones I got generally were laying within a week.

It depends on where you live, but I live in western SD, and even though we are into fall, I do not expect a real big shift in egg production until mid November, and that is without artificial light. If you live way north, that would be earlier.

MK

Back
Top Bottom