New foods seem to mystify the chickens is this normal

KelsT

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
So I have been giving the chickens weeds and clover from my garden, some clover flowers. Well yesterday I gave them their first strawberry... Not sure if I need to chop them up or anything but I sliced it a little and gave it to them. They all looked at me like i was a crazy person...(I seem to get that look from them often). Then I closed the coop back up and watched the threw the window and they all either stood around the berry looking at it like it was an alien space craft or looking at me like "what in the world is this thing..." The mosquitos where out so I headed back into the house feeling a bit disappointed that they didn't have a hay day with their first piece of fruit.

Is this reaction common?

Usually chickens will go for red fruit! But keep on trying other things some chickens are picky. Mine will hollow out a watermelon like you won't believe! They tore apart whole kiwis one day. And I've heard they hate oranges but we give them our legitimate leftovers and that was what we had one day and they loved it! But they have turned up their noses plenty of times. They all have their own personalities!

Usually chickens will go for red fruit! But keep on trying other things some chickens are picky. Mine will hollow out a watermelon like you won't believe! They tore apart whole kiwis one day. And I've heard they hate oranges but we give them our legitimate leftovers and that was what we had one day and they loved it! But they have turned up their noses plenty of times. They all have their own personalities!
I couldn't find the strawberry in the morning so I think it was an initial freak out about something new.

Back
Top Bottom