New from Western MA

Mar 23, 2018
Worthington, MA
Hello Everyone!

I'm Mel and live in the mountains of Western MA. Still waiting for Spring to get here officially but at least the snow is finally starting to melt. :\

I'm still in the preliminary stages of getting chickens. I haven't gotten my chicks yet but I wanted to learn as much as I can first before I purchased them. I live on a property with a great coop already, so I'm set with that. Just need to fix the roost a bit and work out the outside fencing. I'm looking to use the chickens for eggs only, hoping to get some easter eggers and an olive egger. A friend of mine told me about this forum and I'm so happy she did! I've learned so much so far!

As far as hobbies go, I like to hike with my dog, lift weights and am a major foodie :) I'm a pastry chef and my husband is studying to be a nurse. We have one dog who is absolutely amazing and our housemates have two cats. I'm looking forward to learning more from you all! Thank you for all the information so far!

G'Day from down under Mel :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock when they arrive and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may be interested in these links:

IMG_1494.GIF

I used to live in Northampton & loved Shelburne Falls. Miss it especially in the autumn.

My EE is the sweetest! People are always amazed when they see her aqua blue egg. I also want a cream legbar that lay pale blue eggs.
And Marans or Welsummers that lay "chocolate" brown eggs

Once you get your flock, be sure to come back & post pictures!
And as you plan the roosts & run, remember that chicken math is real & make everything 2x what you think you want. Someone just posted how he & his wife set out for 3 chicks & walked out of the feed store with 6!

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

Back
Top Bottom