New Fuzzballs! Advice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DragonEggs, Jun 26, 2010.

1. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Ok, I picked up a pair of GLW fuzzballs from the local feed store today. I've been having bad luck (and I mean REALLY bad luck) with my birds lately. From the last 6 chicks I bought only 1 has survived so far. Ive been losing older birds too, all for no apparent reason. I've been paranoid since I got the babies home. I have them in a 10 gallon fish tank on a stand on my screened in back porch (TOTAL quarantine from the rest of my flock). It's naturally warm and a bit humid so I used a 75 watt bulb instead of my usual 100 watt and it's keeping half the tank pretty warm. The chicks have adjusted themselves to where they are comfortable. After being in their new tank for a few hours and calming down I introduced a bowl of sugar water, dipped their beaks, at which point they drank pretty well (not eagerly but not slowly). The tank is full of fresh cedar shavings, i've been washing my hands and using germx and I plan to attend to all the chicks needs before I attend the rest of the flock then shower afterwards in case the chicks need anything else. I bleached my whole bathroom today after treating dry pox sores on some of my roos and cutting lice eggs out (an burning them) of a couple birds beards. I've been very paranoid and I know I probably shouldn't have bought new babies until my other situations were under control but my heart was hurting from losing my 2 faves this week and they were so fluffy and I just kept thinking about how pretty they were gonna be and I couldn't resist.

Please, I want everyones advice on what I can do to make sure these babies stay healthy and happy! Even common sense stuff, just every bit that you can throw at me to make sure it all sticks in my head!

Thanks guys!

2. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Cedar is toxic to chickens. Use PINE shavings!!!!!!!!

Some people say not to use shavings at all until they are 2 weeks so they don't eat them and get an impacted crop. Put them on paper towels not newspaper. Give them only water (you could drop the sugar) and chick feed, with maybe some hard boiled egg. No other treats. Use a hand sanitizer that is alcohol based only. The other kind has some seriously nasty chemicals.

Good luck and I'm so sorry about the time you've been having.

3. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Yep, cedar is a big no-no. You could put some electrolytes in the water also.[​IMG]

4. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I checked the bag, they are pine shavings. You guys had me scared! LOL

Thank you for reminding me about the elctrolytes. I bought the powder the other day, just forgot I had it.

5. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    OK, I added electrolye+vitamin powder to their water. The little ones were panting and laying with their wings out so I turned the light in the tank off (they're on my porch and the temp outside right now is 96 so I figured the light was a little too much extra heat). I'll turn it back on when the sun goes down. They seem fine otherwise. THinking about moving them into a rabbit cage I have so they have more room to escape the light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by