new geese not eating

mandarin1

Songster
7 Years
Jun 13, 2015
I just bought a couple new geese over the weekend and they had previously been free range, but since they are new to our place I have them in a pen for a week or two until they get used to their new home before I turn them out. The problem I am having, and maybe I'm just a little overly worried, is that they have not been eating and it's hard to tell how much water they have been drinking, because they keep knocking over their waterer. I'm wondering if this could just be the stress of a new home or should i be really worried? is there anything maybe that they will definitely eat? I'm just giving them all flock right now. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Are you feeding the same feed they got at their past home? It will take them time to adjust to the new home. Birds hate change.

No, she did not tell me anything other than they were free range. I guess I will contact her and see if I can get the same feed. Thank you!

I recently moved my geese into a new coop and they went on a hunger strike for a few days. They're fine now.
My geese are about 5 months old. They prefer to drink out of a 5 gallon bucket. If your geese are big enough to do that, I recommend giving them one as they won't splash as much out.

I recently moved my geese into a new coop and they went on a hunger strike for a few days. They're fine now.
My geese are about 5 months old. They prefer to drink out of a 5 gallon bucket. If your geese are big enough to do that, I recommend giving them one as they won't splash as much out.
Thank you for your reply, that makes me feel much better :) They started picking around a little bit today and I actually have one of those really big heated dog water bowls since the weather is getting colder and they seem to love drinking out of that. I think it was just stress due to the move and they're finally starting to warm up a bit. I'm just a worry wart I guess.☺️

Good to be concerned. It takes time to adjust to new food. What are you feeding them? Have you tried a mix of grains? I like to use mazuri, flockraiser and whole corn.

I just bought a couple new geese over the weekend and they had previously been free range, but since they are new to our place I have them in a pen for a week or two until they get used to their new home before I turn them out. The problem I am having, and maybe I'm just a little overly worried, is that they have not been eating and it's hard to tell how much water they have been drinking, because they keep knocking over their waterer. I'm wondering if this could just be the stress of a new home or should i be really worried? is there anything maybe that they will definitely eat? I'm just giving them all flock right now. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I have two month old Chinese geese, and they are free range- and will only eat lettuce and meal worms, plus grass. I am new to owning geese- but they seem happy and very healthy. I hope I'm doing everything right raising them. I really love these geese! What great personalities they have!

If you have plenty of grazing for your geese they may be okay until fall when the freeze gets the grass. I'd still offer some feed just in case they might eat it.

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom