New Goats...problems

Aisha3789

Chirping
Apr 1, 2018
We recently got three new goats and I have never kept goats in Pakistan where I live. I kept them in America where they basically just lived off the land and we gave them hay and a little feed. The problem is where I live there is hardly and plants...it is a dry dusty rocky mountainous region.
We also dont have commercially made "grain" or "pellets" available unless it is extremely expensive.

Here is my solution to how to feed them and I am hoping it will be enough.
We have a bag of wheat, bag of corn/BOSS/chickpeas/etc mix....these two bags of things i ferment and give hem about a cup each twice a day. I mix this with husk powder which is basically the ground husk of grains, chopped hay, little of the fermented water for moisture, and chopped veggies like lettuce, carrots, cauliflower stalks, etc etc. We get these old veggies free from the local veggie dealers. The goats LOVE it.

The biggest problem is we do not have traditional hay available like in the states. The hay here is basically what comes out of the harvesting machines and is very small cut pieces and very powdery. The goats REFUSE to eat it and dont like eating anything touches ie: the veggies. I am at a loss for how to get them to eat this or why they are not already eating this. It is likely that these goats came from the mountains of Afghanistan where they basically are herded around eating scrub brush.

Will they be ok without eating any browse? I can not possibly bring them browse everyday it is simply not available unless i become a shepherd and take them on a journey to the mountains everyday :idunnothats definitely not gonna happen lol. Any suggestions?

Could you include a couple pictures of the land they live on?
Could you sprout fodder?
Also include a picture of the hay in question.

They basically live in a backyard lot and they and our chickens wont let anything grow. Here is a picture of the hay. Looks like she is eating but shes just picking every grain out.

Attachments

• IMG_20181023_100325.jpg
    IMG_20181023_100325.jpg
    829.2 KB · Views: 15
Still having problems?
Can you grow forage in a greenhouse? Or fodder?

Back
Top Bottom