New Goose In Texas

Arwen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 25, 2010
Austin (the weird part)
I just posted a lengthy intro post in the "new members introduce yourself" thread.

I have a few questions.

I have a domestic pet goose that I sort of goosenapped from a local restaurant because I thought she had a broken wing. The long post goes into more detail.

Questions:

1. Can she be happy as a house/apartment goose?
2. Can an adult learn to accept a harness/diaper?
3. For food it's poultry non-medicated 18% protein, right?
4. Am I bonkers? Should I let her go to a place where she can be outside? I worry that she is so imprinted on humans that she doesn't know how to be a goose. Crazy?

Oh, I'm in Central Texas.

I live outside of Austin - in Coupland, and I think that if you work, she might be really freaked out during work hours, when you are away from the house, but other than that, you'll know... jennifer. BTW, there is a lake in Taylor, East of Austin, that has lots of gooses (geese as others refer to them), she could live there if your apt life is not right.

[email protected] :

I live outside of Austin - in Coupland, and I think that if you work, she might be really freaked out during work hours, when you are away from the house, but other than that, you'll know... jennifer. BTW, there is a lake in Taylor, East of Austin, that has lots of gooses (geese as others refer to them), she could live there if your apt life is not right.

I would want her to go somewhere she was looked after by humans. I don't think a lake would be good since she was at Town Lake but came up to us. When I say came up to us, I mean leaned on my friend while small children (not mine) crowded around to pet her.

I think she was dumped by someone who thought a pet goose would be cool but then learned the that the truth, as they say, is in the pooping.
lol.png

House geese can be very happy! Many people do not think so, but it is completely possible. Promise.

While you're away, they can watch TV, preen, eat, sleep... TV helps a lot. They like kid's shows. If you could add a small other animal to your indoor flock... Say, a small duck or even a silkie chicken - I hear they're good - you have the added bonus of a companion. But, I've had pet house geese without issues, work and all, even by their own. My beautiful Grim, pilgrim goose, did not like outside. She would go outside, eat some grass forlornly, and then pad over to the door again. A friend's goose would do the same, except he was a male african so he'd run up the flight of stairs to the door and demand to be let in to go eat the cat's food.

The more you're home, the better, but they are adaptable.

Oh, and...

www.indoorducks.com
www.thegoosesmother.com

Diaper harnesses/holders. Very necessary. Indoor Ducks is a new place but in my opinion, excellent. Take a look.

The goose should have a large dog kennel to sleep in, and a safe area (like a room with little fences up - like for toddlers) when you are gone. It should be 100% goose-proofed. Some will chew cords, some will not. Change the room based on your goose's behavior.

If it's an imprinted female - calm, content and likes to be held, then it will probably be much happier with you than with strange geese. If the goose seems to dislike being inside, please make sure to find her a home where she can be happy. It is not about forcing them to be pets. It is about letting them be where they want to be, and do what they want to do, and many times they really do want to be with us.

Photo28.jpg

PS: There are many naysayers about this sort of thing... But they actually do not have experience with it.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Right now I feel bad that she only has the bathroom when I'm not home but I'm pretty sure my apt complex would not understand goose-pooped carpets.
smile.png
She has already learned to settle down very quickly when I tell her its bedtime. Thank you for your encouragement.

A smaller bird would not be good right now as I have two house cats. They were macaw-trained by a Greenwing Macaw so any bird that big makes them exit stage left. Josephine has already hissed them who's boss and they believe her. Since they are 17 and 11, I feel comfortable in them not hurting her (plus I clip their claws).
smile.png

Once they are gone and if I move to a place with a yard, I really want to look into a duck or a chicken.
smile.png
The silkies are really gorgeous but I do love the West Indie duck as well.

It's a good thing I don't live on a farm!

Quote:
Thank you! I love The Goose's Mother and have already picked out the harness and feeding station.

Josephine tried to climb into my lap the first night so I'm pretty sure she's imprinted.

Although, grin, after looking at more pictures, I don't know if she is a China! She has a little pouch under her bill but you really have to look to see it and her knob is not prominent at all.

A good thing or a bad thing?
lol.png

If she loves you and you are willing to work with her gently and with compassion, I am sure it will work out. Of course, as I pointed out, sometimes geese really do not adapt, do not want to adapt. They learn quickly, but their welfare must always be kept in mind. Seeing as you have big bird experience, I expect you understand this sort of thing very well. Good for you. Like I said, the diapers will help immensely. Also, despite the fact that you'll probably get loads of odd looks, go outside and clip a bunch of grass from somewhere public - not private property. Get it in a bin, bring it home - instant goose meal. When the weather was bad, I could often be found clipping our grass with scissors, and my neighbors looked at me like I was insane.

Oh, and most people are 100% okay with geese as pets but some aren't. Don't flaunt it.

Edit: and about what type of goose she is - if she's in your display pic, that is a china for sure.
A female, though. The small knob means she's female. Females tend to be much quieter and gentler.

Last edited:
Quote:
Smile. I'm 49. I can take a bit of not okay with it.

Yes, that is Josephine in the picture. Thank you for that verification. I was going off pictures and a website that sexed by the honk.

Right now she is eating corn, broccoli, edamame, cauliflower, (spitting out) carrots and alfalfa pellets. I am planning on going to a local feed store tomorrow to get poultry food. I've given her cracked corn as well in the hopes that will be enough for scratch/grit.

I do know that she has well-formed poo. LOL That's one thing you learn really quickly when you are a parrot owner. Check for consistency and color and urea.
smile.png
I haven't found a site on goose poop but I hope the basics are the same.

ADD: I will definitely do the grass collection as well. Where I am, people wouldn't bat an eye about some old woman clipping the lawn with scissors. Seriously, Austin TX has the motto "Austin is Weird" ...and it is.

Last edited:
Wonderful! Very few people know it, but goose poop should have a good consistency (like slugs; capable of being picked up with the fingers) and a white urate. I keep tabs on my geese's poops, but many people think very wet poop is okay when it is not. In my experience, sometimes it is just increased water consumption due to the heat, and often probiotics will sort it all out.

It sounds like you are doing an excellent job with her. I wouldn't recommend the cauliflower, though, as it is gassy. Broccoli is very good. If you can get the broccoli with the leaves on it, I don't know what it is called, they love it. Alfalfa pellets have, at times, upset my birds' digestive tracts but it may be no worry to you.

I also fed thawed, frozen mixed veggies. With flax oil on top, plenty of lettuce, grass, cooked brown rice, dry oatmeal (the small flakes - instant or quick cooking, I don't know what it is called specifically) and of course, poultry pellets at a low protein percentage. I think you're off to a great start.

PS: I suppose I should live in Austin, then.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
This is going to sound so sad but it's really nice to find people I can discuss poop with. LOL Thank you for that because that is what we are getting mostly. Green/white/brown slug-like pellets with white, slimy urea. Sometimes she gives really loose grainy brown but that seems to be a startle reaction like when I move a plastic bag (poo receptacle) too fast. Normal?

Thanks for the food tips. I do have an organic, mixed greens box in the fridge.

Goodbye dinner. I hardly knew ye.

Back
Top Bottom