New Goose In Texas

Sounds like a healthy goose to me. I know what you mean about having people to talk poop with. Very few goose people are craning their necks to catch a glance at their poop the way I do. But, I rehabilitate and rescue injured and sick birds, and hope to get a veterinary degree, specifically for avian medicine, and poop is one of the biggest things we, as bird people, should be invested in. As funny as that is.
big_smile.png
Just had a shot pigeon go from near death to very healthy, it took a few weeks of TLC but now you can clearly tell that her poops are solid, with a white urate at the top; perfect little balls, as pigeon poops should be.

I'm a huge bird person in general; I keep geese because I love them, not for eating or production or profit (I could not imagine eating a goose). I love genetics and breeding interests me, but ultimately, I love the birds.

As for the poop, I think when they are overheated or excited, their poop will be runny and more grainy, because individual grains are actually visible in liquid poop. Often urates will be absent from these ones. It's pretty normal for them to have these. Sometimes I notice they have them for a longer period of time. Geese are pretty varied in that way. Good diet is a big thing, and some geese are prone to having problems, and some have stronger digestive tracts than others.

She's currently enjoying my dinner salad (pout) and some pellets and fruit. Last night she stayed in the tub much longer than the night before and I was able to walk away (about three feet) to do some cleaning of my own on the floor.

Do you know of any foods that would be bad like avocados are bad for pscitticines?

Good luck on becoming a vet, Adrian! We need more good vets who love all animals. One of my dear friends is an avian vet in Denver (she's in ER vet med now) but she used to write for BIRDS USA magazine. One of her articles was on....POOP. lol

wee.gif

Oh Arwen,
I just love josephine!
I watched her bathe and eat breakfast.
She responds to you with her chatter.
My heart is melting.
So lucky you have each other.
I love her voice.

Beth

What is urate? I was wondering about that white stuff, so glad to read about it... I'm a poop person too, since I have small children, it's a good guage for them too. Seriously I didn't know until 3 mos ago that birds and some others don't pee seperately from poop. Amazing. Also, my geese have really watery poop in the am after they have been in the coup all night, I think they just drink alot of water thru the night cause it is so incredibly hot here. Sounds like J is quite happy and much more inprinted than mine, esp. if she is trying to get on your lap. My male just stands there waiting for me to put him on my lap. My female wants nothing of it... jennifer

Welcome Arwen, I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve to discuss poop. It is a prerequisite for goose ownership, as there is a lot of it and MUCH to discuss, in terms of quantity
big_smile.png

Your story of Josephine is about as heartwarming as it gets
smile.png
I watch Adoption Story (about humans) on DHC and bawl every morning from 12 to 1pm. I just adopted a scraggly little Embden girl named Lilly from a well meaning owner. She is still about five pounds underweight (they didnt feed her poultry food, just scratch grains and grass), and was practically lame and had molted without a sign of new feathering.

She is now striding right about 90%, has beautiful white feathers sprouting everywhere, and is in love with her new husband Petey (who treats her like a second wife but she is blissfully unaware). The vet said she has no broken bones, slipped ligaments or obvious soft tissue injury, she was just malnourished and depressed at the loss of her previous husband Shredder. Her lameness was probably from dedicated broodiness and lack of protein in her diet.

My geese are part time house geese, all three of them. I have a "baby jail" from Walmart in my bedroom, and they come inside with me in the evening and go outside when I get up in the morning. I still have to put Lilly in a large laundry basket with her own food and water because Petey thinks she's not good enough to eat with him and Petey Girl just yet, plus she needs all she can eat.

I keep the pee wee pad industry in booming business, and have to keep my nursing uniforms in another room so I don't go to work smelling of goose.

Josephine is in for a good life. She has fantastic karma. I am still amazed at how a goose can capture your heart and believe they are yet undiscovered loving, devoted pets and companions for us humans
smile.png

Thanks so much! I went to the feed store today and a kind gentleman realized how lost I was. LOL He walked up and asked if he could help. I had walked right past the poultry food.
smile.png
Josephine dove into her pellets so I think maybe she's had them before?

Looks like I'm going to have to let her go live with some friends though. But the good news is that they have a pet duck who has been with them for about 8 years. They are the people who gave me a ton of information on what to try to feed Josephine. I am still taking her to the vet Monday just to make sure everything is good though. They live about 5 hours from me so we will have to coordinate.

I will probably still hang out here though. I think I've been bitten hard by the goose bug.

It was really hard for me to realize that my lifestyle isn't conducive to a pet goose right now. I though it would be enough to come home at lunch but when I look ahead at my schedule, I realize it's not enough.

I do know that my friends will be a great home for her. They have a place with a pond. I am going to tell them about this forum as well. I think they'd like it here.
smile.png

I'm such a goof I'd get her another goose friend and then she'd have someone to preen with when you are gone. But I understand, her needs and your needs sometimes don't work out
sad.png

Quote:
I'm sad and happy about it. Really sad because she's a funny funny thing but happy because now she will have someone who can spend a lot more time with her. We just had bath time and I'm SOAKED. I did another video of her for her little 4 yr old admirer. I'm going to ask the friends taking her to keep doing that and tweeting if they will. It's funny how something can make such a huge impact in your life.

I am going to volunteer at my rehab place though. I've got a lot of experience with cleaning poo!
smile.png

Arwen,

I am so happy you are able to let Josephine go to where she can get more attention.
You are a truly selfless animal lover.
I have great admiration for your ability to do this.
Thank you for setting such a beautiful example and putting the Josephine's needs above your own.

Please do hang around here.
I have no ducks, geese or chickens.
I live in an apartment and my dream is to someday have a small farm with lots of birds.
I am learning so much, and have met some wonderful people here.

Beth

Quote:
Thank you so much. After having Josephine outside on a leash, it's even harder to let her go. She was flapping her wings and running along beside me. If I moved, she moved. I will one day have a goose again. I will. But I will start with a young one that I can introduce to the harness/diaper. And I already know I'd love another China...unless I get a Sebastopol (the first and actually only pet goose I ever met.)

Back
Top Bottom