New goose owner, have questions

Raise her and spend time with her like any pet and she’ll love you forever, geese aren’t particular with what species they accept as family if they’re kind and spend time with them.
She may need a friend so she doesn't feel lonely for those times you or other family members can’t be around her.
Any animal that is bird friendly can make a good partner, but I’d suggest another goose just for ease of care, “you can feed them the same thing, keep them together at all times.”
Geese and many bird species are around their flock family nearly 100% of the time, so being alone, even for a short time can be unnatural and terrifying to them. There’s something called “overbonding” in the parrot world used to describe birds that latch on emotionally to whoever their caregiver is if they aren’t around other birds or people, their emotional well-being depends on that person being constantly in view.
Giving them a bird friend and having other people interact with them will prevent that, and if you and other family members raise them both and spend time with them as you would any pet there’s no risk of them deciding that you are not part of their goose club and start acting aloof. You’ll all be part of “the flock.”

Raise her and spend time with her like any pet and she’ll love you forever, geese aren’t particular with what species they accept as family if they’re kind and spend time with them.
She may need a friend so she doesn't feel lonely for those times you or other family members can’t be around her.
Any animal that is bird friendly can make a good partner, but I’d suggest another goose just for ease of care, “you can feed them the same thing, keep them together at all times.”
Geese and many bird species are around their flock family nearly 100% of the time, so being alone, even for a short time can be unnatural and terrifying to them. There’s something called “overbonding” in the parrot world used to describe birds that latch on emotionally to whoever their caregiver is if they aren’t around other birds or people, their emotional well-being depends on that person being constantly in view.
Giving them a bird friend and having other people interact with them will prevent that, and if you and other family members raise them both and spend time with them as you would any pet there’s no risk of them deciding that you are not part of their goose club and start acting aloof. You’ll all be part of “the flock.”
Thank you so much for all the info and advice! Yes; we do only have one goose and it will most likely stay that way. She gets tons of love and attention and we‘ve established a routine. I have a spy camera to see what she’s up to when I’m not around (which isn’t often). After a minute of peeps she settles and has some food and drink and takes a nap. We do have other animals and so far everyone gets along great. I’m so glad to have access to this forum. Thanks again, I truly appreciate all the care and support from people like you!

One of my friends I paint with grew up on a farm... she told mr the goose will bond to a human only if it's the only goose. They want a companion. It could also be a dog or a lamb, etc. Not sure she knows all there is to know on that front, but if she's right, it sounds like your chances are good.
I also read that. Two geese might become too jealous or protective of each other. I’m happy with one because she is a companion and not a backyard ornament. Thanks so much for your story. We spend a lot of time together and I think we have a good routine going. She also doesn’t get too crazy when I put het up for awhile. I have a spy camera so I can see her when I’m not around. So far so good!😊 thanks again.

@Kristat77 Incase anything changes and you do end up with a second goose for whatever reason having a pair of jealous birds that are aggressive towards you only happens if you don’t spend enough time with them. For example I have one who’s like that because I wasn’t around him enough while he was growing up, but then I’ve had two other ganders I raised and spent time with daily which were complete sweethearts. I just want to put that out there to elevate any fears.

@Kristat77 Incase anything changes and you do end up with a second goose for whatever reason having a pair of jealous birds that are aggressive towards you only happens if you don’t spend enough time with them. For example I have one who’s like that because I wasn’t around him enough while he was growing up, but then I’ve had two other ganders I raised and spent time with daily which were complete sweethearts. I just want to put that out there to elevate any fears.
Thanks. It’s always good to hear other people’s experiences. I only ever planned on one though. She’s hardly ever alone and she’s an inside goose. She’s never left outside and our big Bernese lays by her and keeps her company too. If we ever feel like she’s lonely I will definitely consider goose #2. Thanks again.

Thanks. It’s always good to hear other people’s experiences. I only ever planned on one though. She’s hardly ever alone and she’s an inside goose. She’s never left outside and our big Bernese lays by her and keeps her company too. If we ever feel like she’s lonely I will definitely consider goose #2. Thanks again.
Okay, now we officially HAVE to have pics of the doggie and the goose chillin' together! Please??? :fl

Awww so adorable! I’ve got a big dog and little goose who are friends too, nothing cuter!

O M G!! I can't believe I missed the baby pics!! I'm so in looove!! My guess on breed is maybe Embden...or even Sebastopol 😍🥰 some sort of all white goose is my guess!
I’m thinking definitely a white breed. I can’t wait to find out. She’s a month old today and still as yellow as can be.

Awww so adorable! I’ve got a big dog and little goose who are friends too, nothing cuter!
She’s a big softie. Loved on our bottle baby kittens too. I need to get a good picture of them together. until then I’ll post a picture of big Sonsie.
7EA7C649-E1DB-4EB7-9EDF-2F2F738B0879.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom