New Guinea - Hen (check), Breed/Color (undecided) - Anymore Help?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Louieandthecrew, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

The other day one of the workers saw a stray Guinea on the side of the road so he took it back here and put it in our chicken pen [​IMG] I have only one picture and it isn't the best, but here it is:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas unto breed, color, or anything else I should know?
    Thanks!
    Louie.

PS. More info is aquired. Before answering, please consider reading over the new material in the following pages [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    It is beautiful. Don't know anything about them except my husband and I want some and can not find any.

3. Louieandthecrew

Quote:Why thank you [​IMG] And thanks for posting anyways. I'm sure I'll find something helpful [​IMG]

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I don't know much about guineas either. [​IMG] I have heard that you can tell the sex by the "call", females sound like they are saying "buckwheat".

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  5. Louieandthecrew

Quote:Haha, I'll have to listen more closely next time I go, then [​IMG]

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Can you get a picture of its head? (by the way it's pretty!)

7. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Away to spot a hen or roo(instead of the buckwheat yell) is the waddles.Those flappy things on the sides of their faces.Our hen has them closer to her face and smaller,while the roo has them open and way far out and bigger. [​IMG]

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:This, as well as the "Buck-wheat!" cry advice will help you figure out the gender! I was surprised that when a male guinea showed up at my house, I could tell immediately that he was a male in comparison with my hens. [​IMG] Anyway, your guinea's color appears to be lavender pied--very pretty! I'm thinking it might be a hen based off that one picture, but it's hard to say for certain unless we could see the head better.

9. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    oh you will know if its a hen, they are so much noisier than the roos, they make the two sylable "buck wheat" alllllllllll the time. mine do anyway. the roo i have is real loud too but just does a one sylable "cheep" repeatedly if something sets him off.

terrilhb, once mine start laying/hatching i could send you eggs!! im am right on the NC/SC line.

10. Louieandthecrew

Okay, I know that it's a hen! I just went to the coop and after not checking for eggs for three days Tiny, my Red Sex Link hen, gave me three eggs and Guiness (The Guinea) has givin us one tiny, light tan egg [​IMG] Any ideas on color or breed, though?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by