New Hampshire Red thread!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by little farmer, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    If he's had the use of his muscles these last two years he is going to be more firm than the store bought poor souls so many are used to. [​IMG]. There are some coq au vin recipes and many will allow the meat to "rest" in the fridge for 3-4 days in buttermilk while the lactic acid tenderizes the meat. DH is not a fan of the coq au vin but I thought it was okay. I think he likes a more crispy chicken. Some googling may give you some tips on how to get the best result from him.

2. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina

"Man fighters", have a few screws loose upstairs. There is no good reason to put up with it or perpetuate the trait. The trait is highly heritable. There is no enjoyment in keeping a bird like that.

There is no outward physical trait that correlates with this trait.

A two year old cock bird makes for better dog food. They are not fit to eat. Once they are sexually mature, the testosterone has already made them pretty darned tough. Regardless of how much exercise they have had.

3. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    We eat a lot of game and Dh will bring home wild Turkeys. Those things will have you chewing for days! We like to grill kabobs with those marinated in Italian dressing. So that's another idea or dehydrate into jerkey... Maybe...

4. sagicraw

sagicraw Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Who is DH?

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    That's BYC short hand for Dear Husband. [​IMG]

6. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Always wanted a rooster of that breeds.He's real pretty!My hens would be ALL over him!X2

7. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    [​IMG]
    rainy day!

1 person likes this.
  8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Thanks troy4. Roger is a 2 year old now. Still keeping his girls under his watchful eye. He's still just as pretty and let's us pick him up for treats every day. Total love he is.

9. featherfriends3

featherfriends3 New Egg

May 16, 2014
    So our Squeeky has a tail just like his. We thought she was a hen of course! So its a rooster?

10. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    I just got some NH red chicks. May I join the thread?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by