New Hampshire!!

We were having a dispute with one of our neighbors and we won!!! So, with my neighbor problems over FINALLY I thought I'd wish everyone a belated New Year.
Looking forward to hatching chicks and seeing how my flocks progress.

Hi
I'm researching, now. I'm leaning towards Oppington and brahma because they're cold hardy and friendly but I'm not sure where to get them and I may end
up getting whatever the feed and grain or tractor store orders because I'd like about 10 to 12 total and I think I'd like to get some keets too in that mix,
but more like 4 not the 15 or 30 the hatcheries want you to order. Any suggestions? on breeds or where to buy them? I e mailed Harrison's poultry farm
hoping he may sell chicks/keets in the spring but don't know if he would. Nice to talk to someone in NH. Mary

Wow
You have 13 ac and a problem with a neighbor! We have almost 3 ac and I've spoken to our closest neighbor and she's looking forward to my getting chickensI hope she feels the same after they arrive.
I'd like to get some guineas too hoping we can benefit from their appetites for bugs
smile.png
I live in Sandown NH
Mary

Hi
I'm researching, now. I'm leaning towards Oppington and brahma because they're cold hardy and friendly but I'm not sure where to get them and I may end
up getting whatever the feed and grain or tractor store orders because I'd like about 10 to 12 total and I think I'd like to get some keets too in that mix,
but more like 4 not the 15 or 30 the hatcheries want you to order. Any suggestions? on breeds or where to buy them? I e mailed Harrison's poultry farm
hoping he may sell chicks/keets in the spring but don't know if he would. Nice to talk to someone in NH. Mary

I would suggest going to the NH chicken swaps if you're looking for more variety! Check out the swaps page, I'm not sure when they'll start up in the spring but I'm sure you won't have to wait long. There are lots of breeders here in NH, I got a few chicks through the NH swaps thread last year and they've all been lovely. I've got eggs in the incubator right now myself, and I know lots of other folks have already fired up their 'bators for the season. I raise Dominiques, they are a great winter-hardy breed. You'll find a lot of other winter-hardy breeds being raised by NH chicken folks. Here's the link for the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/365202/chicken-swaps-of-nh-2012-swap-listings

Also, if you want just a few chicks in specific breeds, try My Pet Chicken. That's where I got my first mixed flock, they'll ship as few as three chicks, depending on your location. My minimum was 7 chicks, still far less than 25 like most hatcheries! I was very pleased with the birds I got from them. Here's their link: http://www.mypetchicken.com/default.aspx

Wow
You have 13 ac and a problem with a neighbor! We have almost 3 ac and I've spoken to our closest neighbor and she's looking forward to my getting chickensI hope she feels the same after they arrive.
I'd like to get some guineas too hoping we can benefit from their appetites for bugs
smile.png
I live in Sandown NH
Mary

The issue was not the birds themselves and if it was it would not matter with my zoning or the codes in Chester or with me...my husband...well, he is becoming a convert since I've managed to make a few bucks. Rather it was over an actual property issue with a logging road/trail/access road on our property that we had cleaned up for easy access when we enlarged our backyard and to my chicken pens and a pond we have on the property. It was really ridiculous but ticked my husband off something fierce. It really is amazing what other folks think they can tell you what you can and cannot do with your own land. But the year is young and I cannot wait to start a-hatching!

looking forward to the 2013 swap season. we have gotten many inquiries from buyers and sellers. many of the vendors are already raising chicks and/or have eggs in the bator. there are hundreds of chicks ordered or being raised already.
the first swap will be indoors at the milford trsactor supply march 30 from 9am to 1pm.

Back
Top Bottom