New Hampshire!

Pics
Hi, I'm new to BYC :) and I just spotted you as a fairly close neighbor!
highfive.gif

Your a bit north of us :)

Last edited:
For anyone interested I have available the following

3 - 6week old Black Sexlink PULLETS - well started fully feathered and ready for a new home all 3 must go together

3 - 5week old Black Sexlink Males - well started almost fully feathered FREE

2 - 9week old Japanese Bantam males - well started fully feathered FREE

PM me to inquire

Hi everyone - I ended up with way more roos than I was expecting so I have 2 barred Cochin roos available to a good home. I'm in Piermont. Pm me if interested :)

For those of us in NH this is the information on how to be part of the NPIP program (National Poultry Improvement Program) It is FREE since NH has a federal grant to pay the testers.

I called the State Vet's office (see below):

Dr. Stephen K. Crawford, State Veterinarian, New Hampshire Dept. of Ag. & Division of Animal Industry,
P.O. Box 2042, Concord 03302-2042. Phone: (603)271-2404 , FAX: (603)271-1109.
E-mail: [email protected]

• I made an appointment for the tester to come to my house. I told them how many birds I had.
  • I put my roosters (10) in cat carriers the night before so that I could easily catch them for the tester (It is easier to catch them at night).
  • I cleaned all my coops

The tester came on time and we did the roosters first and then the hens. (All chickens were over 6 months in age.)
  • The tester drew blood from under the wing and put it in a vial that was numbered with the leg band number for that particular bird.
  • The tester put a numbered band with an individual permanent number on each chickens leg. (This is their permanent number.)
  • I receive paperwork called "Leg Band Number Record of Pullorum Test" which recorded the leg band numbers and number of male and female birds.
  • 10 days later I received in the mail a letter from the state vet and a card that must be shown at all Poultry Shows and Swaps.
  • This is proof of testing and passing the test. The testing is for Pullorum Typhoid and Avian Influenza.

thumbsup.gif

In order to be CERTIFIED I have more paperwork to fill out and send back. My tester also did an inspection of my coops so that I could apply for certification. Be sure to have them do the inspection if you are going to apply for "certification". Certification is needed if you are going to sell your birds outside your state.

To become certified I filled out form 9-5 with codes for the breeds of chickens you have (see link) http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/npip_codes.pdf
note: if you have bantams go to bantams first then breeds. The 9-5 form is available from the state vets office where you called to make the tester appointment. You have to wait until you receive your paperwork back from the State vet to apply for certification. they will email you the 9-5 form. You then go to the "aphis" web site via the link above to get the codes. I copied and pasted them from the aphis page into the 9-5 form. I printed one for my records and emailed the completed form back to the person who sent it. I received my certification number by email the next day.

I was very easy to do. I would advise all backyard flocks to at least go through the process of testing. It helps your state keep track of the instances of Pullorum Typhoid and Avian Influenza in your state.
clap.gif

I wanted pretty much the same thing you did, good layers and winter hardy. I went with the 'New Hampshire' after all the research I did. Not fancy but I think they will be a good choice. Let me know what you get and perhaps we can share notes about how they go through next winter.

Back
Top Bottom