New hatcher here!

Sep 15, 2021
Iowa
Ok so lost my favorelle to a dog about a week ago any way i fell in love with her so much i was sad,but i decided i want to add a couple to my flock. So i want to hatch 2 females. I have never hatched before so this is new anyway i was thinking about starting with 12 eggs. Any advice and or things i should know for spring?

Do you know the basics of incubating? Such as the humidity and turning.

Another thing that’s helpful is marking what eggs are what breeds so you don’t mix them up, at least I prefer doing that. I’ve only done three batches before I got rid of my rooster and couldn’t fo more but I’m starting back up once it’s warm enough with my silkie roo, so I know the basics and everything that’s needed to know to have successful incubations but I don’t know anything special

Do you know the basics of incubating? Such as the humidity and turning.

Another thing that’s helpful is marking what eggs are what breeds so you don’t mix them up, at least I prefer doing that. I’ve only done three batches before I got rid of my rooster and couldn’t fo more but I’m starting back up once it’s warm enough with my silkie roo, so I know the basics and everything that’s needed to know to have successful incubations but I don’t know anything special
They will all be the same breed. I have never done. I do not know the basic but am going to do alot of research this winter.

Havent picked one out yet preferably something cheaper have any advice on what brands are good. This is my first time so i am lost as for i have a lot of googling and reading to do before spring
I’ve heard little giant is prone to breaking, there was one more but I can’t remember it.
They will all be the same breed. I have never done. I do not know the basic but am going to do alot of research this winter.
The eggs will need to be turned at LEAST three times a day, at most five. The humidity needs to be between 65-70, the humidity will go down, so it needs to be refilled when it gets below that but not too much or the chicks will drown. The temperature needs to be 100.5 and you don’t want to leave the incubator open even the slightest or open it too often, for candling you just hold a flashlight on the bottom of the egg in a dark room and look for veins or a little ball like thing in the egg, for lockdown you CANNOT open the incubator unless it’s to remove a chick or if it’s necessary to save one, so if it’s wrapped in anything or injured. For lockdown it’s best to wrap the incubator in a towel or blanket to keep the heat and humidity in but leave the little opening where they have it uncovered, for me it was on top of the lid

I’ve made a few of those mistakes but nothing serious happened to the surviving chicks but 1-3 eggs would die each batch until I found where I was going wrong

Back
Top Bottom