new hatchling (chicken)

Rudeboy

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
ive had eggs hatching the past couple of days (bamtems)all of which are fine but i had one hatch friday night that is alot smaler then the rest, less fluff & dont seem to be able to stand up, sofar all eggs that have poped open in the incubator have been 100% .. can any body give me any pointers as to what i can do for it?.

i have now taken the chick from the incubator & put it under heat (done this morning) but im still worred as it is not standing, it keeps going on to its right side, if you hold it up then it is as tho is pushing to lay on its side...? it is still very much smaller then the other chicks we have had hatch & also seems to have much less fluff? i had another egg hatch from the same clutch & its 100% fine.. any advice plz?

thank you
smile.png

I had a chick last Thursday that did this too, and another that hatched at the same time as it. The one that hatched with it was fine and came out very active. The other laid on its side and could not hold its head up. I did the same as you and put it under a heat lamp with its more active sibling and let it rest. After it was completly dry it was still lethargic so I gave it a bit of water with sugar in it and it seemed to perk up. After leaving it a little bit longer the chick picked up its head and began getting to its feet. I now have it back with mama and it seems to be doing fine. I think that all it needed was time. Hatching is very hard work for these little guys. I would try the sugar water thing and time. Hope everything goes well
hugs.gif

thanks for the reply. well as it goes the wife has been sat with the chick for hours & things are looking good!
smile.png
its now almost got to grips with running before it can walk & its had a drink, tho now i have noticed its right wing is smaller then the left?, & seems to be facing more south then the other...i guess its now learning to "counter balence"? .. we are unsure as to what has caused this & lack of fluff, only thing i can think of is that the egg did not turn in the incubator mixed with a little prematurety?..we will keep the updates coming over the next few hours.
wink.png

just a quick update, the chick is now running around, eating & drinking so its looking good!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom