New Heated Dog Waterer - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cluckn Crazy, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, I haven't, but have read that others have used heated dog waterers. There are a lot of good ideas on here for inexpensive solutions to the problem. Some sort of concrete or metal container with a light bulb mounted inside that the waterer can sit on comprises many of them. Got one of those round metal cookie tins? Somple matter to mount a light socket and drill a hole for the cord.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I use a heated dog waterer here in N. C. it's not as fancy as that one just a blue plastic bowl that I can plug in to an out let. I have regular size for chickens and horse size for ducks and goose.

4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i use a rubber duraflex bucket. they are guaranteed to be freeze proof and they are only a few dollars much less then a heated dog bowl.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Where do you get those? The ones I have (even the HUGE ones) freeze solid in the winter time. The nice thing about them though--is that you can take your anger/frustration on things by smashing them into the ground to break the ice! LOL

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I also use the non-fancy one here in Michigan. It does not hold as much water as i would like, but keeps it from freezing.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'm sure it would work.
    I have two heated dog bowls, but it's just a blue bowl with a heater in the base and a heavy duty cord - holds about a gallon and has to be refilled every day, but at least I don't have to get up super early for their breakfast drink or worry about it freezing up on them while I'm gone to work.

8. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have used a heated dog bowl for years, and it's great. Like was said, you have to refill daily, but it's easy to clean and use, and doesn't need much electricity. You do have to keep it away from roosts so it doesn't get pooped in, but that's true for any feed dish or water dispenser.

9. chris deiss

chris deiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    omro , wi
    I bought an electric dog waterer a few years ago and it froze up every time it got below 15 deg f. This is my first winter with chickens but I bought a metal waterer that you buy a heater that sits right under it too keep from freezing.

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    they are guaranteed to be freeze proof and they are only a few dollars much less then a heated dog bowl.

Where do you get those?

I think by "freeze proof" they mean it won't break, and not that it won't freeze​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by