New Heated Dog Waterer - Thoughts?

Cluckn Crazy

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Peterborough, Ontario
Has anyone heard of or tried this heated dog waterer? http://www.snowcountrypets.com/kane/product-km-heateddogwaterer.html
We get cold enough in central Ontario, I just want to plan ahead I suppose.
66336_dog_bowl.jpg

No, I haven't, but have read that others have used heated dog waterers. There are a lot of good ideas on here for inexpensive solutions to the problem. Some sort of concrete or metal container with a light bulb mounted inside that the waterer can sit on comprises many of them. Got one of those round metal cookie tins? Somple matter to mount a light socket and drill a hole for the cord.

I use a heated dog waterer here in N. C. it's not as fancy as that one just a blue plastic bowl that I can plug in to an out let. I have regular size for chickens and horse size for ducks and goose.

I'm sure it would work.
I have two heated dog bowls, but it's just a blue bowl with a heater in the base and a heavy duty cord - holds about a gallon and has to be refilled every day, but at least I don't have to get up super early for their breakfast drink or worry about it freezing up on them while I'm gone to work.

I have used a heated dog bowl for years, and it's great. Like was said, you have to refill daily, but it's easy to clean and use, and doesn't need much electricity. You do have to keep it away from roosts so it doesn't get pooped in, but that's true for any feed dish or water dispenser.

I bought an electric dog waterer a few years ago and it froze up every time it got below 15 deg f. This is my first winter with chickens but I bought a metal waterer that you buy a heater that sits right under it too keep from freezing.

they are guaranteed to be freeze proof and they are only a few dollars much less then a heated dog bowl.

Where do you get those?

I think by "freeze proof" they mean it won't break, and not that it won't freeze​

Back
Top Bottom