New Hen Respiratory Infection?

ok mine has pale yellow to clear runny snot, coughs, sneezes ansd sometimes sticky eyes. i just sniffed my bird and it dont stink. maybe the reason eyes were shut is because of the snot gettin rubbed near eyes cuz i washed them and eyes look ok. normal poop until i started antibiotics. only affecting younger birds under 6 months old. older birds seem fine. they are eating and drinking fine, but sound hoarse and streatch neck out kinda like gasping. too many of the diseases have the same symptons. but my chickens eyes didnt swell like the pictures i have looked up. oh i have no clue. the more i research the more confused i get. could it still be corzya without the foul smell?

i feel so very sorry for that bird, but to protect the rest of your flock, you should take her back to where you got her.

Please don't take her back! That woman will only sell her to someone else. It's best you euthanize her. This is a hard reality of keeping chickens, that some should be put down, no matter how hard that is.

We can't reliably diagnose the exact disease on the internet-we can only give an educated guess, but only actual testing will tell you. If it was me (well, I wouldn't have taken her at all, but...) I'd call the state vet and have them cull her and test her. It may be free in your state. And tell them who is selling sick birds.​

We are not going to give the Silkies back to the woman. We are contacting an avian veterinarian today. We need to know what her illness is before we decide to cull her. Also, we want to know for sure what it is because this woman is also selling hatching eggs. If it is mycoplamsa then she needs to stop selling eggs and we need to discard our entire incubator full. We are not taking this lightly and have taken all necessary precautions as to not transmit the illness to our current flock(located miles away) or my parrots here at home. I will update with what we find out as soon as we know.

I appreciate all the advice given and I am thankful for a forum such as this one.

We have an appointment at Cornell for 2pm tomorrow. We were told to remove the Sulmet as it may inhibit the results of the tests, and may already be too late. Weird thing is that the Vet had never heard of Sulmet. I still trust that he knows what he is doing and cannot wait to get these tests done! I will of course update with any new information.

Sulmet is quite common so he should have heard of it. He may know it by its full name, though, which is sodium sulfamethazine.

To answer your question, NPIP usually tests only for Pullorum and Typhoid, which are all but eradicated in the U.S. NPIP's purpose was to protect the food supply, not to certify anyone's backyard flock as healthy. Mycoplasmosis is not tested for unless you ask for it, pay extra for it, and it must be done several times a year. I'd say most NPIP participants do not do this.

Oh I am simply horrified at the state of that precious little silkie!!!!

hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom