New hen standing in crate with eyes closed...help...

No livestock neighbors
I live in the suburbs only have 6 (plus her=7) backyard girls
diarrhea but not bloody its clear
 Do you have a neighbor that has cattle or livestock that may have Corid for scours treatment in cattle?  A friend with chickens also could have it.  I like the liquid for ease of dosing, but powder or liquid doesn't matter.  Sulmet or sulfadimethoxine are some others you may find from a friend that would work in a pinch.  Is she having any diarrhea or blood in her poops?

Last edited:
That's great that you are at least getting something in her! Keep doing it until the Corid comes. The faster you can get Corid in her the better. I prefer the liquid. If she won't drink the Corid / water mixture, you will have to syringe that into her too until she will drink enough on her own.

Ok just ordered this
hope its the right kind
I'll get it on Tuesday

Last edited:
Ok just ordered this
hope its the right kind
I'll get it on Tuesday
That's the stuff! The dose for a severe outbreak is 2 teaspoons per gallon, but if she isn't drinking you should give it to her undiluted at .2ml per 2.2 pounds orally (.02ml per 100 grams). Note that the instructions on the bottle are for cattle, not chickens. Chickens get twice what cattle get.

Frome the Amprol site (same as Corid)

http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp96.pdf
USE DIRECTIONS AND DOSAGE
As soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed, medicate the drinking water with AMPROL 9.6% Solution at the 0.012% level and continue for three to five days. In severe outbreaks a 0.024% amprolium level should be used. It is recommended to continue amprolium at a 0.006% level for an additional one to two weeks. Use as the sole source of amprolium. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during treatment.

To prepare 50 gallons of medicated water:
Dosage Level Mixing Directions

0.024% Add one pint (16 fluid ounces) of 9.6% Solution AMPROL to about five gallons of water in a 50-gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.
0.012% Follow same directions as above but use 1/2 pint (8 fluid ounces) of 9.6% Solution AMPROL.
0.006% Follow same directions as above but use 4 fluid ounces of 9.6% Solution AMPROL.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

-Kathy

Last edited:
As of now im going to assume ill have to give it orally so I'd give it to her once a day for 3-5 days?
then assuming she gets better I'd put it in the water for an additional 1-2 weeks?
Thanks so much! This is my first time with a sick hen. Any and all info is so greatly appreciated!
That's the stuff! The dose for a severe outbreak is 2 teaspoons per gallon, but if she isn't drinking you should give it to her undiluted at .2ml per 2.2 pounds orally (.02ml per 100 grams). Note that the instructions on the bottle are for cattle, not chickens. Chickens get twice what cattle get.

Frome the Amprol site (same as Corid)
http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp96.pdf
USE DIRECTIONS AND DOSAGE
As soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed, medicate the drinking water with AMPROL 9.6% Solution at the 0.012% level and continue for three to five days. In severe outbreaks a 0.024% amprolium level should be used. It is recommended to continue amprolium at a 0.006% level for an additional one to two weeks. Use as the sole source of amprolium. No other source of drinking water should be available to the birds during treatment.

[COLOR=00BB00][COLOR=00BB00][COLOR=00BB00]To prepare 50 gallons of medicated water:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Dosage Level Mixing Directions
0.024% Add one pint (16 fluid ounces) of 9.6% Solution AMPROL to about five gallons of water in a 50-gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.
0.012% Follow same directions as above but use 1/2 pint (8 fluid ounces) of 9.6% Solution AMPROL.
0.006% Follow same directions as above but use 4 fluid ounces of 9.6% Solution AMPROL.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

-Kathy

I usually just give it one or two days orally, but I also tube fluids to them if they aren't drinking. How are you going to keep her hydrated until Tuesday?

-Kathy

Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

At first I wasn't sure if she was going because I have her on pine chip bedding and there wasn't any evidence of poo. Then I realized the bedding was wet...when I had her out of the crate she was walking around on hard dirt and she went... it was mostly clear liquid with a little bit of white/very pale yellow but I shoveled it up and bagged it and threw it away. Didn't think to take a pic. If she goes again on solid ground ill take a pic but the bedding just absorbes it.

I usually just give it one or two days orally, but I also tube fluids to them if they aren't drinking. How are you going to keep her hydrated until Tuesday?

-Kathy

im going to keep feeding her with the syringe. Water, yogurt & pellets mix.

I hope your girl is feeling better. She truly is lovely. Change can be really stressful, which is just so hard on on hens. It's lucky that she likes being held. She'll take comfort from your encouragement.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom