New hen standing in crate with eyes closed...help...

kristin07035

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
NJ
I had a new hen shipped to me on Wed (1st time I received a shipped bird) she's 1yr old and traveled from TN to NJ shipped Mon & Arrived Wed.
I put her in a separate area away from my other hens. I made a quarantine cage/run out of a hard plastic dog crate attached to a metal bunny/guinea pig type cage.
She was eating & looked and acted fine ever day until today. Today she's just standing up with her eyes closed. I took her out to examine her & couldn't see or feel anything abnormal.
Eyes (when opened) are clear, no bugs, no weasing, no coughing, no mucus....
Could she be lonely?
She hasn't layed an egg yet but I've read that will stop for a while after the stress of shipping?
When I was checking her out I don't think I felt anything to think she's was egg bound but never had it happen so not sure where or what i should feel for.
I made her oatmeal and hard boiled eggs but so far she hasn't touched either.
This is her today :*(

This was her on Wed..

I hope your girl is feeling better. She truly is lovely. Change can be really stressful, which is just so hard on on hens. It's lucky that she likes being held. She'll take comfort from your encouragement.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

well, i hope she was handled well in shipping-
she might be homesick.
well, id just keep holding her and the water and pet her head.
hope its nothing too serious.
roll.png

Since I'm on here wanted to ask...
Is it ok to eat any eggs she may lay while she's on the corid?
I've tried searching but everyone has a different opinion. Tried calling the company but they just said it wasn't made for poultry so they couldn't answer.
Yes, you can eat the eggs.

-Kathy

I'd just keep an eye on her for now.......she's probably tired after shipping. If your really concerned then you could take her to a vet.

I think I would bring her inside, and put a puppy pad under her to look at her poops, and watch how much she is eating and drinking. She is standing puffed up, and that can be a symptom of coccidiosis, although she has hardly had time to get it from your soil. Corid would be best to treat that if you think that it is the problem. Check her vent with a rubber glove an inch or so inside, for a stuck egg. They can get egg bound from low calcium and dehydration, and probably from being in a box. Check her crop to make sure it is emptying by morning. Think about worming her at some point since she is new to your property--Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very good.

Back
Top Bottom