New hen standing in crate with eyes closed...help...

well, i hope she was handled well in shipping-
she might be homesick.
well, id just keep holding her and the water and pet her head.
hope its nothing too serious.
roll.png

Last edited:
What I'd gavage feeding?
Interesting in your link about stress and handling
You'd think holding the chicken would give it some comfort
Gavage feeding is tube feeding. The OP isn't going to tube, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that the bird is properly hydrated before it's force fed, 'cause force feeding a dehydrated bird, human or mammal can cause more harm than good, possibly even death. I will edit my previous post to make that more clear.

Unless the chicken is used to being "cuddled" holding it will cause stress. The hen also needs to be in a warm room, 80-85 degrees, that's also in that link. FWIW, I'm not one to just quote stuff like that from books, it's how I treat my sick birds and I can assure you that it does make a difference.

-Kathy

Supportive Care
SICK-BIRD ENCLOSURES
Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be placed in heated (brooder-type) enclosures b (Fig 7.7) in a quiet environment (see Chapter 1, Clinical Practice). A temperature of 85° F (29° C) with 70% humidity is desirable for most sick birds. If brooders are not equipped with a humidity source, placing a small dish of water in the enclosure will often supply adequate humidity. A moist towel that is heated and placed on the bottom of a cage or incubator rapidly humidifies the environment, as indicated by the fogging of the acrylic cage front.
Source:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf

I don't worry about the humidity, but temp, never less than 80 degrees, period.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom