New hen stopped laying months ago.

RESQME49

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2018
Olympia Washington
I have an Americauna who just started laying in June, and then looked like she started to go broody ( sitting in the box and fluffing up, stopped laying ) end of July and then hasnt laid an egg since. She eats and acts like a normal hen, just doesnt go up and lay. I have checked all around the run and coop and there isnt any stashed anywhere. Thoughts?

The breed isn't exactly bred for production. What are you feeding? Feeding a higher protein ration can help to optimize production. Blue and green eggs have a component of blood, bilirubin, as part of the pigment, so they can be taxing to produce. Feeding correctly will help. The rest is hereditary. Some hens are still seasonal layers like their wild ancestors.

I have an Americauna who just started laying in June, and then looked like she started to go broody ( sitting in the box and fluffing up, stopped laying ) end of July and then hasnt laid an egg since. She eats and acts like a normal hen, just doesnt go up and lay. I have checked all around the run and coop and there isnt any stashed anywhere. Thoughts?
How old is she?
If she's around 18 months old she might she be getting ready to molt.
How did you handle her broodiness?
Have you examined her closely for bugs and/or a swollen belly?

Blue and green eggs have a component of blood, bilirubin, as part of the pigment, so they can be taxing to produce.
Not sure this will keep them from laying at all....just paler eggs?
True tho, that Ameraucanas and/or Easter Eggers are not always prolific layers.

How old is she?
If she's around 18 months old she might she be getting ready to molt.
How did you handle her broodiness?
Have you examined her closely for bugs and/or a swollen belly?

Not sure this will keep them from laying at all....just paler eggs?
True tho, that Ameraucanas and/or Easter Eggers are not always prolific layers.
Well my thoughts is if they aren't fed correctly with enough protein they can't continue to make those eggs, but maybe you are right. There is a reason EE were created, probably because Ameraucana are such poor producers. Most EE are better at laying.

Back
Top Bottom