New hen....what is she and how old you think she is

I do thank you everyone...she is quite unhappy right now for being taken away from her flock I have 2 of her other flockmates and let me tell you she has a CLUCK on her

Wendy'sChicksRock :

maybe I dont have a wyandotte then. I dont think mine hs a rose comb/ But im new so all this is just guessing. Will you look at my pics and tell me if she is not a wyandotte plz

Your hen is a golden laced Wyandotte.​

Welsummer or brown leghorn, but usually leghorn combs get bigger and sometimes floppy. You should know what she is when you get a white egg (leghorn) or dark egg (welsummer) from her.
wink.png

Quote:
Not necessarily. Easter Eggers often have pea combs, green legs, and beards/muffs. But I have one EE who is clean faced and I have seen EE who had comb shapes other than pea and leg colors other than green. However, having none of those traits (which are common in EEs) I would agree that she probably isn't an EE.

And wyandottes don't always have rose combs. While they are supposed to have rose combs, it is not that uncommon for a single comb to pop up. It's actually pretty common in hatchery wyandottes, although it does occasionally happen even with wyandottes from a good breeder. I have one out in my coop right now that has a single comb and I've seen a handful of pics here on BYC of single combed wyandottes. However, I don't think I've ever seen a picture or heard of a "brown" wyandotte.

I think she looks like a Welsummer. They do lay brown eggs, are that color, and have single combs. They are supposed to lay a dark brown/terra cotta colored egg (often with speckles), although hatchery welsummers may lay a brown egg that looks similar to most other brown egg layers. As for age, I would guess less than a year and a half to two years. She just looks young to me, like maybe she just recently started laying.

Now, keep in mind that you need to take all of this with a grain of salt, as I am still a newbie. But based on what I've seen and learned here and there, these are my thoughts on the subject.

if she lays brown eggs she is NOT a leghorn. They lay white. Yours is very similar to a leghorn tho I can see why that would be suggested. Here is my Leghorn to show you what they look like so you can see that yours is NOT a Leghorn. Hope that helps, yours is going to be quite pretty when she is grown!!!!!

56270_junglefowlhen2.jpg
[/img]
56270_junglefowlhen4.jpg

I think she is a Welsummer too I have a Silver laced Wyandotte and she lays light colored eggs. We shall see when she lays her egg I was told she lays brown tho

Back
Top Bottom