New hens, No eggs, What's up?

chemlight

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Rydal, GA
My youngest daughter and I bought 6 hens from the local sale last Saturday. It has been 5 days now and not an egg, not even a hen pretending to. These are our first chickens and obviously we don't know what were doing. All but one seem to be healthy and vibrant. What gives?

Any help is truly appreciated. We have 2 black star, 1 red star, 1 deleware, 1 buff orpington (she's the one with the long nails, I mean long nails and gets pecked at, she isolates herself), and what I think to be a cinnamon cubalya?

How old are they? Are you sure they're mature? It can also take a couple of weeks for them to lay after they are stressed by a move.

Our silkie layed her first egg at 6 months but our Ameraucana pullet hasn't layed any yet. We are still new as well...I'd be interested int eh answer as well.
yippiechickie.gif

How do you truly know how old they are. At my best guess I think they are 18 mos to 2 years if not older, but I really don't know. I do know they are all mature enough not to look like pullets.

If you can post pics of them some members on here can give you an idea of the age. It could take a couple weeks for them to get settled. Also keep in mind the shorter days this time of year don't help egg layers much. Good Luck!

Most of the hens I have bought from the auction take a full week before they lay for me. Usually the day of the next sale, almost like they know if they don't lay they might be going back lol.

Except the last Red Sex Link I purchased, she doesn't seem that old, but hasn't started laying for me yet and its been 10 days. I really like her, so I am giving her more time before I decide if I should resell her.

I would definitely give yours more time to settle in and feel relaxed in their new home before worrying.

Do you think they can read my mind. My partner (9 y.o. daughter) and I have discussed taking them back to the sale if things don't improve. Actually I am thinking we can take them back to the sale as she says she doesn't care if they lay or not she loves them. Go figure.
wink.png

I'm wondering the same about my girls. They've been with me for 3 weeks now and no eggs. They are mature hens 18 months - 2 yrs old and were laying for the fellow I bought them.

I think that they are just still getting used to their new conditions. They've been used to basically running wild (not held and little human interaction other than feeding time) and I have them in an ark and talk to them often throughout the day.

They are just starting to respond to me when I talk to them. The past few days I've had them sitting outside the bathroom window so when I get up in the morning I open the window and call, "chick, chick, chick", and they turn their little heads to see where I am. Psych! LOL

I give them scratch every evening and they come right up to me when I scatter it for them and when I feed them bread crusts I've almost got two of them taking the crusts from my hand.

The white one, Meringue, is very skittish. She likes to sit in the nesting box and when I open the door to the nesting box she kinda growls at me. I tried to reach in to pet her once and she almost pecked me.

Still though, they are beautiful and make amusing pets.
Barbara.

Back
Top Bottom