new hens that wont go in the coop

Herne13

In the Brooder
May 31, 2016
Hello, we were gifted four new hens a few months back and we are having problems getting them to integrate with the rest of the flock. We have a little under an acre and they free range it most of the day. So they have too many ways to avoid each other. So far one, who was still a poult when we got her, has manage to make it into the coop recently, well most nights lol, the other three keep roosting on the garden shed. Every night we have to get them down and put them in the coop. This has been the case for about two months or so and i am starting to think they will never become part of the main flock and will have to be re-homed. Is over two months of trying to get them to hang out with the flock longer than seems proper? I lack experience with that because we usually just hatch some eggs when we want more birds (we have a Silky, Spike, that is more than happy to brood for us). Another thing to note, is that they keep "presenting" at me. Dropping down and, sometimes, even doing the dance. I have taken to pushing them away when they do that, since they seem to think I am a rooster, sigh, and are refusing go for Hank. The alpha hen of the group even bloodied him up when he tried, she was way alpha though and even had a darker comb and waddle when she got here. so, any advice is welcome, it would be nice to not have to climb my shed every night to get them.

One trick is to make the top of the garden shed an uncomfortable place to roost. Not knowing the shape of your shed, my advice may not work. Rolls of wire, barrels, a piece of chicken wire, maybe loosely tacked on one side then over the top, but puffed up off the roof. Extending wing out where the birds fly up to the shed.

I don't like to lock birds in the coop for days, but you could go out before dark, and call everyone in with some treats, when they get so they come in on the run, throw a handful into the coop, and then lock them in over night.

Good luck

Totally agree, iv'e not had OP's issue.
The new girls always want to roost with the oldies even if they aren't welcome.
The treat bribe does work, I do it with newly roosting chicks.
Right before roostime dole out treats in the coop and only in the coop.
Use the same container everytime and keep your time consistent.
Get good treats, wiggly ones live mealworms and let the chickens see you getting them from your container.
In time as soon as you step out with your container ALL your chickens will run to the coop.
You won't have to do it forever either.:)
One trick is to make the top of the garden shed an uncomfortable place to roost. Not knowing the shape of your shed, my advice may not work. Rolls of wire, barrels, a piece of chicken wire, maybe loosely tacked on one side then over the top, but puffed up off the roof. Extending wing out where the birds fly up to the shed.

I don't like to lock birds in the coop for days, but you could go out before dark, and call everyone in with some treats, when they get so they come in on the run, throw a handful into the coop, and then lock them in over night.

Good luck

Need more info.
How many existing birds, with ages and genders??
How many new birds, with ages and genders?
How big is coop in feet by feet?
Dimensions, and pics inside and out, would help.
How did you introduce new birds 2 months ago?

Hey, @Herne13 did you ever trim your rooster's spurs?
If you didn't that might be why those new girls don't want in the coop.
Morning and Dusk are "sensual" times for chickens meaning if they're near the rooster magic is going to happen.
If he's hurting them they'll continue to not want to be too near him.

okay, good to know that this is not an unusual amount of time. the coop is about 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 (feet of course). it is at about max capacity with 13 hens and a rooster (which may also be part of the problem), about half the hens are under three years old and were hatched here, the others we have to guess there ages but know for sure a few are pretty old. 4 of the hens are new, three about 3 or so years old another is just coming of age (we think she recently laid her first egg). the new hens were introduced by first giving them their own mini coop and small yard (which they promptly escaped, lol) and then, after a week or so, moving them into the main coop every night. they are let out early and then kept in the yard until about 10:30. we had to implement that rule after having to search the bushes for eggs too many times. putting another roost in may do wonders and i was planning on trying it. the last two nights we were able to herd them into the coop rather than pick them up and put them in, so i think that may be progress. oh, and the shed roof now has a branch resting on it. the last big batch of snow was rough on it and it has either bent or broke so it is in their way, which is fine by me. thank you all for the advice and reassurance.

the coop is about 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 (feet of course). it is at about max capacity with 13 hens and a rooster (which may also be part of the problem),
Uh, way beyond capacity IMO, especially for integration.

Still not clear on bird numbers and ages.
Format below would make more sense to at least me,
maybe other can decipher your description above.
x existing M birds, x months old
x existing F birds, x months old
x new M birds, x months old added on (date)
x new F birds, x months old added on (date)
F=female, M=male, x= you add the numbers

I have a dozen birds in a similar set up, and mine are doing fine. And if yours are headed in, they are doing fine too. It just takes a while.

As for roosts - I added space on my roosts by making one roost parallel to the wall, then putting shorter roost kitty corner to that and a shorter parallel roost. Be creative, but mine are all roosting and I do not hear squabbles at roost time.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom