new here and have question

nhlisalee

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
HI, We have chickens for quite a few yrs and I have on a couple of occasions run into this- chicken will do this twisting of the neck, gets thin and dies. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to prevent it?
thanks!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like it might be wry neck. I would recommend doing a search for that on BYC and you will find a huge amount of information.
Good luck and once again..., WELCOME!

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
. There is ton of information here I think you will find the site usefull. I know I did. Never thought I would see a day that you could find pictures of Chicken poop and what cause the symptom of matching it up. I'm sure help will be along soon Great people here.
Once again Welcome and hope you find your answers

Thank you everyone. I do not think it is wyr neck. It does not stay twisted they do this head swivel neck twisting thing. . The only way I can think to describe is like seeing someone dancing you know like how the kids dance these days. The head goes to the side and then back and forth side to side. I know it sounds weird but... the other thing I notice it seems the breast is bloated. Like you can grab the bulge in her chest. I have had three hens have this a die. It seesm like they stop eating or cant eat.
thanks

I won't proclaim to be the least bit knowledgeable about this - but, it kinda sounds like an impacted crop? Like their neck movements are in an attempt to dislodge what's "backed-up" because the crop is impacted. And the bulge is the impaction itself. There's lotsa info on here about that kind of thing. Just my thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom