new here and loving it!!

Wonderful!
Suggestions? Bantams would look good in your aviary/run.
smile.png
It's always good to have other places to keep your chickens, in case one gets sick or you want to quarantine new birds, so the aviaries will come in handy. Is the plastic sheeting that thin stuff that is flexible? That's what it looks like in the photos. I don't think it will last long, and when it shreds, you have little pieces of plastic everywhere. Don't ask me how I know that. I would take it down and replace it with wood or corrugated tin or solid plastic.

Your property looks beautiful.

thanks for the suggestions! there are several other aviaries on the property...i was wondering what to do when they stop laying and i want to add more birds??? i can't imagine eating my pets, so i guess i'll end up with more than the 4 original birds
smile.png

the plastic is very durable, btw, it's been on for years, no worries there, but i'm worried that it doesn't go all the way down and although that does ventilate the run, i have to see if the rain gets in. it is supposed to rain pretty hard up here in the winter (it'll be my first--i came up from the beach in santa barbara)
i have to find a way to build a coop flush up against the aviary in such a way that it is raccoon proof--that he/she can't use a gap to open up the coop and carry them away. i hate the raccoons around here. the first night we moved in, one jumped into the moving van!
oohh i'm so excited i can't stand it!!
bloomerz:p

Quote:
Welcome to BYC eggsidental. If you sill don't have enough avatar advice, try Microsoft Office Picture Manager. It will allow you to use existing pic as is or you can crop and then reduce to avatar (100 x 100) size
big_smile.png

thank you all so much! now a question: what do you think i should put on the floor of the aviary? that's where the chickens will be hanging out when i'm not home; when i am home they will be outside behind a fence:
39976_img_0645.jpg

i will be attaching a coop to the side of the aviary for them to sleep in btw
thanks!
bloomerz

I have sand in my run, and I like it. I scoop out the poop sometimes with a kitty-litter scooper. It stays dry, it doesn't smell.

Wow, I think our first official member who came here from the book! That is sooooo cool!

BTW, I edited your first post to fix your image (you were missing the beginning tag).

Great to have you here and looking forward to getting to know you!

Back
Top Bottom