new here, and q's

itsaduck

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 25, 2008
Not so strange request? My folks are new to raising chickens (they have 12) and are wanting to come visit us- 700 miles away- but are looking at putting their chickens in with my brothers for the duration. I cannot find any leg bands that are not sold in mass quantities so would appreciate any help. Also, is it safe for them to put their chickens in with my brothers? They did come from my brothers brood? but have been with my parents for a few months and we're concerned about whether it's safe or not. Any info and advice is so appreciated! God bless, itsaduck.

PS- I'd love to get some really good layers for my parents so any advice on that is welcome too.

1. Leg bands - You can use cable zip ties on the birds as leg bands. Don't pull them snug - leave a bit of space between the leg & the band.

2. Combining flocks isn't a good idea, even if they came from the same flock to start with. First, they have been exposed to different diseases and bugs since they hatched. Second, combining the flocks will upset their pecking order, leading to fights that can injure or kill birds. It would be best to keep them separate.

3. Good layers are: Sex-links (my fav so far... but I'm biased), plymouth rocks, Rhose Island Reds, Leghorns, Buff Orpingtons... too many to name! Go to www.mypetchicken.com and look for the breed matching tool. It'll help you find breeds of chickens that lay well and are suited to the climate and personality types you need.

Thanks, very helpful! And the link is too. I have another question. Where can I find a heated watering trough for chickens? I see they have a heater at backyard chickens but not an all in one unit. Do they make them? My Mom said they are about $75 but didn't tell me where I could purchase it. Maybe it's not for chickens specifically? I really do appreciate the help as I'm totally lost here
big_smile.png

By the way, can you recommend any good books for raising/buying chickens?

Last edited:
Quote:
FIRST:
welcome-byc.gif

Now, I use a heated base and put a 5 gallon galvanized waterer on top. I bought it here:
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/no_freeze_heater_base.html

it worked in -15* although the coop was much warmer with heat lamps... still, it has worked quite well and I woudl definitely purchase again!

Good luck
Christina
PS- Rhode Island Reds are great layers as are Rocks, also my Buff Orpingtons have continued to lay despite the cold weather

I really wouldn't mix flocks. It's just asking for disease outbreaks in both. Your choice, of course, but, great big 'kick me' sign.

If you don't want to use just a heated base for a galvanized waterer, your choices are pretty much to buy a heated bucket with the element molded into the plastic (any farm supply store, online or brick-and-mortar, will have it, labelled for horses etc), which is approx $45; or a heated dogbowl with the element in a compartment underneath, about $12-25 at walmart or pet store or farm supply store -- note this works better for small #s of chickens than large #s); or the 3-gallon plastic waterer with the heating element molded into the bottom of it (about $40 from Murray McMurray or any other online poultry supply store, or some farm supply stores).

I currently use a heated dogbowl for a 4-chicken pen, and the 3-gallon integral-heater plastic waterer for a 10 chicken pen, and am happy with both. (Some people have had issues with the 3-gallon thing; I wonder if there are slightly different versions out there, since other than desperately wishing it had its own attached cord I have had no problems at all with it myself)

Good luck, and welcome to byc,

Pat

They will probably fight some if you mix , I would just make a simple holding pen at your brothers something quick, cheap , and sturdy enough to hold them for a short time

Back
Top Bottom