new here and too chickens

rooster

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 1, 2007
washington
my wife brought home a chicken 2 weeks ago. i was to be honest not happy. we didnt even know what kind it was. i found this site and it has been very helpful in breed ID and coop design. we have a shaver red named SCARLET. im a big ol tough construction worker who fell in love with a chicken, so ive been building my new coop all day. i bulit nesting boxes a week ago but she never went in. today i built my floor and frame work put the nesting box in and she went right in and layed down like she was waiting for me (along with my wife) to build it. anyway thanks for helping us out.

You have a new found friend in a chicken who i hope lays you many eggs now that she has a new house!!
I have just finished building a coop for our chickens we have ten hens and a very little rooster called MR BIG he is a pekin a just loves all his lady friends.
Do you think that you might get any more ?

Rooster.....how old is your new friend? Dont you think she might be lonely out there..all alone??
sad.png
Mayeb she can have a few friends??
big_smile.png
Got pics of the new coop? We would love to see them, and of your Scarlett too...Hey, maybe she needs a Rhett Butler LOL (sp) From gone with the wind.

i dont know how old she is. wife brought 2 chicks home yesterday and is picking up 2 chickens today. i think we will get around 8 chickens total. i will try to post some pics today.

coop1.jpg

coop2.jpg

coop3.jpg

here are some under construction pictures of our coop. the nesting box will be higher when finished.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I wish my husband was handy, but alas!

hit.gif

However, he's good at other things, LOL.
love.gif

Hey rooster,
Welcome to our world. You'll be making adjustments to your coop every now and then.
One might be to put a steep pitch on the top of the nesting boxes otherwise they will be sitting up there pooping and creating quite a mess.
I put about a 6/12 on the one I built but it wasn't enough.

Good Luck
BigR

coop64-8.jpg

coop54-8.jpg

here are some more pics from today. i plan on puttin another nesting box over the one that is there then ill put a steep pitch roof over them to shield boxes from poop. im no expert so any suggestions are welcomed. my wife has joined as well and will post some more pics as well.

Back
Top Bottom