New here! Chicken with a very swollen foot

Betsystahlman

Chirping
May 18, 2022
Hello! I have a chicken with a very swollen foot. I don’t think it’s bumble foot. She got frost bit last winter in her toes. And was doing ok until a few weeks ago. I have done many Epsom salt baths. Gave her some terra vet 50 and antibiotic cream. Also vetericyn. I tried to pop a bit to see if they’re is puss in it. Nope. Could it be staph? Idk what to do. I’ve raised chicken for almost 10 year. And Vets here will not see chickens
E09A67B5-8463-4C28-AC26-870DB5253176.jpeg
B3206BAD-C623-4323-B6F8-F0FB2267C312.jpeg
7DE1F947-2D24-4475-BF98-051699BC22EB.jpeg

Welcome to BYC. You'll probably have better luck by posting in the Emergency forum.

I have had good results following this method:
Soak the foot every day, in warm Epson salt water for around 10 minutes at a time. Dry well with a soft towel and then apply a drawing salve, such as Prid. Wrap well, but not tightly, with vet wrap, or any self adhesive bandage. After a few days the scab will fall off. At that time, squeeze any core and/or pus out and begin apply antibiotic salve at least 1x a day. Continue to apply salve and wrap until a new scab appears. Do daily checks until you feel confident that all is well.
Good luck!

Welcome to BYC. You'll probably have better luck by posting in the Emergency forum.

Soak the foot every day, in warm Epson salt water for around 10 minutes at a time. Dry well with a soft towel and then apply a drawing salve, such as Prid. Wrap well, but not tightly, with vet wrap, or any self adhesive bandage. After a few days the scab will fall off. At that time, squeeze any core and/or pus out and begin apply antibiotic salve at least 1x a day. Continue to apply salve and wrap until a new scab appears. Do daily checks until you feel confident that all is well.
Good luck!
Thank you!! Well the scab is her toe. Not a scab under like bumble. Thank you!! I’ll try the prid!! Appreciate it so much! I’ll try the emergency group!

Good luck!
It really doesn’t seem infected. What about staph?

Back
Top Bottom